There is nothing better than sleeping in late and waking up to enjoy a fulfilling brunch. And later, enduring your food coma so you can watch football all day — this is what Sundays are all about.

I went to Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill on Sunday around lunchtime to satisfy my craving for barbecued ribs. Since I was yearning for a big, manly meal, it was rather surprising that the special Sunday brunch menu caught my attention and drew me in for a closer look.

The brunch menu items exemplified the characteristics of a hearty breakfast, with filling, savory options. All the menu items were under $10, which is essential for a college student’s budget.

Unsure of what to order, I found myself surveying various combinations that included eggs, potatoes, steak and even grilled fruit — a staple of the extensive menu.

I decided to go with the “B & B Omelet,” which shockingly turned out to be the equivalent of two regular meals. I guess they took the meaning of brunch literally.

As I waited for my food, I was able to soak in the elegant atmosphere to get a true feeling for the identity of the restaurant. It has a unique, modern style with large tables and an illustrious bar. Bull & Bones clearly strives to be far more than an ordinary sports bar.

The combination of artistic wall paintings and soft background music suggests its tasteful and elegant design. However, the feel of the sports bar was maintained with numerous flat screen televisions offering live sports action.

The environment made it ideal for a Sunday brunch, as they televised the major football matches while also offering an intimate atmosphere conducive for an enjoyable meal.  

The theme of maturity was woven throughout the restaurant; from the design, to the menu, to the beer collection, which I unfortunately was not able to enjoy this time around.

The beer selection was eclectic and unique, which added to the individuality of the restaurant that has an on-site brewery. The beer menu boasts two beers specifically — the Lunch Pale Ale and the Maroon Effect Ale —which incorporate the community support for Virginia Tech football.

When the food got to the table, my eyes widened to fit the enormous meal on my plate in my field of vision. My massive omelet, smothered in chili, was completed by a bed of roasted potatoes.

The potatoes were crunchy and seasoned with spices, and the omelet was warm and fluffy, filled with melted cheddar cheese and spicy jalapenos. This surprised my taste buds with an added kick.

My massive feast was extremely tasty and satisfying — it was one of the best brunches I have had in a long time. It was the perfect way to prepare me for a day full of relaxing and watching football.

In addition, the meal filled me up for almost the entire day, and I still had leftovers. There is no competing with that value.

The food was deliciously satisfying, the service was good and the atmosphere was inviting. Plus, the brunch lasts from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., so you can catch the first football games of the day during your meal.  

While the brunch menu does offer lighter options, such as sandwiches and soups, the menu’s uniqueness is found in its manly entrees. So, if you wake up from a long night — feeling a bit queasy — you may not want to test your luck there. However, if you want to start your Sunday off with a satiating meal, then the Bull & Bones brunch is a great option.