Hangover cures that work, and some that don't - Collegiate Times : Drink Of The Week

|
||

Hangover cures that work, and some that don't

Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:00 am

Party too hard last night and now it’s come back to bite you? No worries, try some of these remedies. Different cures can work better for different people, so see which work best for you. Using these cures in combination with each other will formulate the best effect.

—Sports drinks. They can help replenish electrolytes and essential minerals.

—Eggs. They contain cysteine, a substance that helps to break down a hangover-causing toxin called acetaldehyde.

—Bananas. They help replenish any potassium lost from drinking.

—Fruit juice. It energizes you naturally, speeds up the rate at which toxins are decreased, and is high in the nutrients that are often depleted from alcohol.

—Soup. The more liquids in your system, the better.

—Painkillers. These only work well if free of caffeine (which dehydrates) and acetaminophen (which in combination with alcohol has been shown to cause liver damage). Avoid if you have a queasy stomach.

—Multivitamins. These help replace any essential vitamins that your body dumped during drinking.

—Exercise. If you can bring yourself to do it, exercise may help you by releasing endorphins and changing your body’s physiology. However, sweating can further dehydrate you, so be careful when deciding if you’re up for exercising. This is a remedy where effectiveness varies by person.

—Bath of wasabi. While about a third of toxins are being released through the skin, taking a bath in wasabi can help this process because wasabi increases blood circulation and promotes oxygenation of cellular tissue, which causes a clearing of metabolic waste.

—A shot of wheatgrass. It is a natural detoxifier, and also helps to hydrate and energize.

—Sleep and time. In conjunction, these two are your best bet for feeling better. Even if you do nothing to cure your hangover, they will assure that your body recovers.

Common cures that don’t really work:

—Drinking coffee. Coffee is a diuretic, and will only dehydrate you more. The caffeine may perk you up at first, but you could crash harder later once it wears off.

—Drinking a beer, aka “the hair of the dog that bit you.” This only puts off the inevitable, and could make your hangover worse for you later. Adding more toxins to your recovering body is not what it needs.

—Anti-hangover pills. A lot of doctors have shown skepticism about these. While they may help with a few symptoms, they have not been proven to be an all-out cure. Some believe that they create a placebo effect, or that the true remedy is the water you are required to drink with them.

—Greasy food. There is no evidence that this actually helps. Greasy foods are harder to digest, and they could possibly just cause heartburn instead. For those who swear by greasy breakfasts, the eggs are probably the most essential part in alleviating a hangover.