Students Cooking

Summer Scholars Cooking Class at Roanoke College.

The struggle of coming home at 8 p.m. from a long day walking Virginia Tech’s campus and studying at any available table (mind you, there are few) only to have to cook a full blown meal for yourself is certainly a rough one. Little did I know that after freshman year, this would be my life.  After the era of daily West End runs and late night DX snacks came to a close, reality hit us hard, or at least me.  

Three words that can describe many college students are lazy, impatient and clueless. These also are quite possibly the least desirable character traits of any cook. After I cook oatmeal, and by cook I mean microwave, I immediately put the bowl in the freezer purely so that I don’t have to wait for it to cool down. I eat pistachios while hovering over the trash can merely so I don’t have to get out a bowl for my discarded shells. The thought of having to open a cabinet or put something in the dishwasher is seriously daunting.  

For Katie Copp, a senior political science major, might be the individual who can do exactly that. 

“For most general living matters, it’s easier to be off (campus),” Copp said.  “I personally prefer cooking for myself, so I would definitely put off campus as better for that.” 

I go to Kroger with the dream of one day waking up and understanding the inherent art of cooking. Scouring each and every aisle for literally anything that catches my eye, I checkout only to return home to cook my first five-star meal that happens to require the very item I happened to forget. Pro tip: It’s always the eggs.  

While having a meal plan cushions the inability to make a proper meal, a Hokie Passport doesn’t always have the funds for every meal. 

“I can’t cook, so I have an on-campus meal plan,” said Sarah Salzmann, a junior international relations major who lives off campus. “I don’t use it a lot, but it’s better than just fending for myself.” 

No matter what meal plan one might have, cooking is inevitable. Knowing that you’re not alone in the shock of entering adulthood, there is found solace in the fact that others are no more prepared for the real world than you are. 

From meal prepping your food for the week to microwavable dinners, there are definitely ways to eat healthily without having the strong desire to “chef it up” in the kitchen. My roommates certainly remind me that every day with their nutritious salads and entrees that seem to hit every food group on the diet pyramid we learned about in elementary school P.E.  

After all, maybe it isn’t too difficult. People do it — they cook with ease. This week will be different; my healthy lifestyle begins now. This is, however, the fourth week in a row I’ve said this to myself, so we’ll see how this actually pans out.