Fall / Autumn Pictures

Lane Stadium on a cold October morning, Oct. 27, 2018.

As temperatures start to drop, autumn is finally here, and there is no place more beautiful than Virginia Tech in the fall. Despite being such a small town, there is are lots of things to do in Blacksburg during the best season of the year.

Of course, the arrival of fall means the beginning of football season, so be sure to attend at least one home game. If you do not have season tickets, then enter the football ticket lottery; after all, it’s free.

No game day is complete without heading down to tailgate at Center Street. With orange and maroon everywhere and dirt flying through the air, it is something every Hokie must experience before graduation.

Additionally, with the leaves changing colors, autumn is the perfect time for a photoshoot, and it’s a wonderful way to show off several picturesque locations on this beautiful campus. 

The Duck Pond provides a great backdrop this time of year with the water and wildlife. Another photo spot closer to the center of campus is the Pylons, with a view of the Drillfield on one side and Torgerson Bridge on the other.

Of course, our campus is extremely photogenic during this time of year anywhere you go, so, gather a group of friends, grab your camera and have some fun.

For those who do not like spending hours taking pictures, try heading over the Blacksburg Farmers Market, open Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning. Located on Roanoke Street by Squires, this event has over 20 local vendors selling everything from fresh baked goods to homemade crafts. Even if you don’t want to buy anything, spending a couple hours window shopping is definitely just as fun.

Another great way to enjoy our beautiful campus during this time of year is to go on an early morning bike ride. You don’t even need to own a bike; simply pick up one at any of the 12 Roam NRV bike stations on campus. The company charges $1.00 for every 15 minutes or $10.00 for 24 hours. No excessive planning necessary, just wake up early one morning and enjoy a peaceful bike ride before the rest of campus wakes up.

For those with a car, this season is not complete without visiting a pumpkin patch. Both Joe’s Trees is the perfect distance for a day trip over the weekend.

Joe’s Trees in Newport, Virginia, is open Saturdays and Sundays, Sept. 21 through Oct. 27. Voted the Best Pumpkin Patch in the state by Virginia tourism, Christiansburg’s Sinkland Farms is open every weekend, Sept. 27 through Nov. 3. 

If you are willing to drive a little farther, head on over to Mill Mountain Park to check out the Roanoke Star, a classic landmark in this part of Virginia. This giant, lit up star is best viewed in the evening or at night. The drive up to the Roanoke Star is rather scenic as is the view from the top of Mill Mountain, so it is definitely worth the hour drive.

Anyone above 21 years old should definitely spend a day the Rising Silo Brewery, open Thursday through Sunday. Even if you do not enjoy beer, the rural aesthetic scenery of Rising  Silo Brewery is quite amazing as well. This brewery offers a variety of beers and several non-alcoholic options. There is also farm kitchen, the Tabula Rasa, which serves meals made from fresh produce, meat and eggs.

Additionally, the arrival of fall means that Halloween is just around the corner, so anyone who wants a good scare should visit Gallows, a haunted house in Christiansburg, with a surprise waiting in every corner. It is definitely worth the $20.00 general admission, but there is a group discount for 10 or more people.

Anyone who misses the beach should consider spending the day at Claytor Lake, located approximately 30 miles away. There are plenty of fun activities including swimming, renting a boat and other water sports. For anyone who wants to spend a night or two by the lake, there are campgrounds and cabins available as well. 

Blacksburg may be a small town, but there’s definitely plenty of things to do around here in the fall. Grab your friends and get out of your room; don’t miss out on these activities during this season of the year.