Sugar Magnolia in Downtown Blacksburg, August 11 2018

Sugar Magnolia in Downtown Blacksburg, Aug. 11, 2018.

It’s almost that time of the year where your expectations are either very high or even lower than they were last year: Valentine’s Day. The day of the year where creativity is tested and Instagram feeds become a war of who-did-what. Have no fear though. There’s an endless variety of things to do this upcoming Feb. 14. From plain and simple to full-on fancy, here are six ideas you should think about instead of going to bed early on Valentine’s Day.

For those looking to do something local and casual, consider going the sushi & strikes route. Paragon First & Main (formerly Frank’s Cinebowl) has a bowling alley inside of it that’s both fun and cost friendly —$4 per person to bowl, $3.50 for rental shoes. Afterwards, within the same shopping center, head over to Sake House, a traditional Japanese sushi restaurant that offers a wide variety of options for even the pickiest of eaters to enjoy themselves. With salads, sake, sushi and more, you’re bound to have a good time.

Wanting a more cost-friendly and relaxed date? Order some Benny’s Pizza they do delivery and hop on Disney Plus inside the comfort of your home. Binge watch a new series or maybe check out a movie you and your date haven’t seen before.

Looking to do something on campus that’s on the meal plan but on the fancier side? Go west and head on over to West End Market for some gourmet Valentine’s Day options. Steak and lobster followed by a variety of dessert options such as ice cream and carrot cake will ensure that your date goes great.

You can’t go wrong the classic wine date. With plenty of shops in the area such as Gourmet Pantry and the Blacksburg Wine Lab, you’re bound to find the right wine for whatever type of evening you have planned ahead. Paired with cheese, dark chocolate or other light hors d’oeuvres, the night will be full of fun and flavor.

If you’ve got a sweet tooth, this next idea might be the best option for you. Start the night off right with popcorn, drinks and a movie at The Lyric, located right on Collegiate Avenue. After that, walk on over to Sugar Magnolia, the premier spot downtown for getting your sugar rush. Hot cocoa and cookies are the sweetest way to cap off the night. 

Valentine’s Day is on a Friday this year, and with the number of bar options we have downtown, it couldn’t hurt to keep things simple by doing dinner and bar hopping. Go to Cabo Fish Taco or Mellow Mushroom for a perfect pregame meal, then work your way over to you and your date’s favorite bars. Whether it be dancing at TOTS or hanging at Hokie House, spend your Friday evening (and your money) having a good time.

From frugal to fancy, your options are endless this Feb. 14. Whether you’re in a relationship, married, or just wanting to have a good time out with your friends, spend this Valentine’s Day doing something special with a certain someone in your life.