Sleeping student with alarm clock in foreground

Sleeping student, Sept. 23, 2018.

Everyone despises the terrible feeling when your alarm wakes you up and you can barely crack open your tired eyes. Most people, including myself, tend to hit the snooze button several times and use the next few minutes to sleep in. Smacking the snooze button in the morning isn’t the most productive way to start a new day.

Here are a few methods that are meant to help people who are stuck in the snooze stage of their sleep cycle and can’t wake up in the morning.

Seriously, get enough sleep

The most important advice to be able to wake up on time is to get a sufficient amount of sleep the night before. At this point in your life, you probably have a better understanding of your body than anyone else; however, as a standard guideline, anything less than six hours of sleep will make it excessively difficult to wake up, and more than eight hours of sleep will greatly improve your chances of getting up on time.

Move your alarm as far away as possible

One mode of getting the day going is putting your alarm as far away from you as possible. Doing this eliminates the chance of the quick snooze-hit and forces your brain to actually process where the alarm clock is. Once your brain starts processing this information, the feeling of sleepiness will slowly fade away.

Getting up to stop your alarm from ringing is one of the most common hacks for getting up in the morning, but setting it far away in itself isn’t enough to stop you from going back to bed. Having an item next to the clock that will entice you — such as headphones or a glass of water — will give you an activity to keep you from falling back asleep.

Gradual method

Another approach to waking up earlier is using the gradual method. The gradual method is simply waking up 15 minutes earlier than you did the previous day. The gradual method is a surefire way to make sure that you aren’t immediately turned off from the thought of waking up an hour earlier than usual. Seeing the effects of the day-to-day process of waking up earlier will motivate you to continue the gradual method habit.

The inverted snooze method

The inverted snooze method is simply using the nine minutes you have for snooze time to treat yourself in any way you choose as long as you stay out of your bed. You can use this time to watch a funny scene from a TV series, eat a Nutella sandwich or even bug your roommates. Anything that makes you excited will do; however, once the nine minutes are up, it’s time to start with your standard morning routine. The main thing is to be creative with your activities and try to switch them up once in a while in order to keep the activity separate from your usual morning routine.

Sleep cycle

Something you can do the night before you set all your waking-up methods in place is make sure your alarm clock is aligned with your sleep cycle. A sleep cycle is an oscillation between different phases of sleep that last 90 minutes. In the middle of the 90 minutes is where you’re in the heaviest sleeping phase — at the end of the 90 minutes is when you will be experiencing your lightest sleep. Setting your alarm nine hours or seven and a half hours before you fall asleep will give you a refreshing wake-up call instead of an annoying one.

These hacks are created for the benefit of those people who experience sluggish mornings. The simple steps can easily change anyone’s mindset about mornings without considering going back to sleep. It’s crucial to note that not all of these methods will work for everyone, but it’s important to always search for new ways to improve your ability to wake up in the morning. Starting your day off by getting past the morning doldrums will be the first step to having a productive day.