Apartment organization

A student's organized closet, Sept. 23, 2018.

Squeezing all your personal belongings into a small space, whether it’s a dorm room or an apartment, is no easy task. However, there are a number of simple organizational techniques that can be applied to help conserve space.

For starters, it is important to utilize the space on the back of a door, whether it’s a closet door or a cabinet door. Hanging organizers with hooks over cabinet doors in a kitchen allows you to store pots and pans on the back of the door, clearing up more space for rice cookers, blenders or other cooking supplies. An over-the-door shoe organizer is a must-have to hang over a closet door; it can be used to store not only shoes but also jewelry, office supplies or even snacks, and takes up significantly less space in comparison to shelves or cabinets.

If you have your own bathroom, shower caddies are a must-have that can be hung on the wall via Command hooks. S-hooks can serve as extra towel hooks, and bins can be placed underneath the sink and used to store personal cleaning supplies like Clorox and paper towels, as well as extra toilet paper. Additionally, Command strips can be used to attach containers to a wall, which can be used to store makeup and other necessities.

You can utilize a dresser to the fullest extent by using drawer dividers or small bins to store multiple categories of belongings in a single drawer in an organized fashion. One helpful technique is to fold T-shirts and place them in drawers vertically, which not only saves space but also allows easier access to the shirts, since you can see them all at the same time. The top of a dresser can be used as a bookshelf as well; simply place two bookends on either side.

Those who have space under their beds should use it to the full extent by storing materials that are important but not used on a daily basis, such as extra light bulbs, suitcases, old notebooks and textbooks, extra towels or bed sheets, and so on. Linens should be placed in plastic containers or crates, which can then be slid underneath a bed. Under the bed is also a great location for a printer, for those who prefer to have their own.

While many people feel the need to have a nightstand, it not only takes up a lot of space but also is not as useful as it may seem. Instead, placing a hanging wall shelf by your bed is more useful, since it takes up much less space, but you can still place your phone on it. Some hanging shelves even have hooks on the bottom, which can be used to hang things like keys, purses or belts.

Shelves are a great addition to a closet as well and can be tucked underneath hanger racks. While tops and dresses are hung up on the racks, you can use shelves to store other articles of clothing like pants or athletic wear. Additionally, undergarments and socks can be placed in bins, which are then placed on top of a shelf.

Another great addition to a room is a corner shelf, especially one that also has a lamp attached, allowing it to serve two purposes. A corner shelf not only adds aesthetic to a room but can also be used as a place to store books, beauty products or even a potted plant.

You should have a rolling cart next to your desk since it is a great place to store school supplies like extra pens and pencils, index cards, and sticky notes. Desk hutches are also very useful and can be used to hold textbooks as well as other personal belongings, so definitely hang on to them, even when you move off campus.

If you live in an apartment or suite-style dorm room, it is a good idea to have a two-tier coffee table so that you can store board games, extra blankets, etc. on the bottom level. Additionally, ottomans that also serve as storage cubes are another must-have, and you can store important items like basic tools or first-aid kits, which everyone shares.

Three-tier TV stands are another great idea for people who have a TV, so that the two extra tiers can be used to stored movies and even video game consoles for those who have them. In addition, you can even squeeze in a bin filled with snacks that will come in handy for movie nights.

So, using these hacks, you can definitely fit all your personal belongings into a small room with no problem at all.