Cordia

The Cordia app was designed by Jack Windham.

In 2017, Jack Windham asked  if anyone was interested in joining a group chat to discuss music. Windham, now a sophomore majoring in computer science at Virginia Tech, discovered how in-demand this discourse truly was. 

“So many joined it that we ran out of room, and I was like, ‘Wow.’ I already kind of knew how to program at that point, so I thought that would be a pretty good app,” Windham said.

Windham began to develop this idea into an app on and off in 2018. He set forward to produce an app that would allow others to discuss and exchange music freely. The app was thus christened under the name “Cordia.” Cordia is essentially a social networking platform for music. 

“Spotify or Apple Music is like the camera app, and Instagram is Cordia,” Windham said.

While you might be able to see what others are listening to at the moment on Spotify or Apple Music, these apps lack the capacities to post about your favorite song or album, explore others who listen to similar music or view your recently played tracks. Cordia has these capabilities and allows you to connect your means of music streaming to post about your current favorites for your friends to see and like.  

Although Windham began to develop the app prior to his career as a Virginia Tech student, the university and his computer science courses have given him a glance into the industry standards and formatting. Windham reveals Cordia is written in code language that he learned on his own.

“I instituted practices I have learned here at Tech in the app,” Windham said.

In addition to the university, Hokie Nation may have had a slight influence on the expansion of Cordia. Jack notes that he bugged his friends frequently about the app, and that he’s received inspiration from his Virginia Tech peers as well.  

The future of Cordia might expect to see the ability to comment and repost other users’ music on your timeline.  The app currently only occupies Apple’s app store but is soon to come to Android in the next six months.

“Advertising is going to be really hard to get it out there now that (the app) is done,” Windham said. 

Currently, he is taking part in a Kickstarter competition that, if awarded, might present him with the funds with which to advertise.  

As for Windham, while computer science majors often yield a career in security or analytics, he seeks to do something slightly different. 

“Computer security kind of bores me; I want to make something that [people] will be able to use,” Windham said.

Since Cordia’s inception, Windham has done just that. 

More information regarding Cordia can be found at www.cordia.app