Disney Plus

The Disney+ emblem. 

On Nov. 12, 2019, Disney took a step into the growingly competitive streaming service market. With competing services such as Netflix, Hulu (albeit Disney owns a majority share of Hulu), Amazon Prime Video, HBO and Sling TV, Disney’s foray into this territory was no doubt a bold move, one that would require a grand entrance. Sure enough, Disney did just that with the launch of Disney+, The Walt Disney Company’s take on a video content streaming service. Having taken time to look into what the service has to offer, here’s a review of what Disney+ brings to the table. 

Content

Being the media powerhouse that it is, Disney offers its viewers a wide variety of watching options. TV shows, movies and exclusive series from the various assets of the The Walt Disney Company are available for endless viewing. From Disney classics such as “Mary Poppins,” modern Disney notables such as “Pirates of the Carribean,” to 21st Century Fox and The Simpsons TV series, viewers of all tastes and interests are treated to endless hours of content that will be updated as time goes on. Future Marvel series such as “Loki,” “Falcon” and “The Winter Soldier” will be added to the platform at a later point in time, but for now viewers are left with Marvel movies such as the Avengers films. 

Browsing

While there were a few issues that plagued the launch of the platform, its overall user-friendly format and wide range of content options make Disney+ a standout among its competitors. It’s an easily browsable platform that has content sectioned off by categories such as Originals (content exclusive to Disney+), Out Of The Vault (classic Disney films), Shorts (Disney/Pixar short films) and others. Similar to other streaming services, what you watch will lead you to having a recommended watch list based off of your viewing habits. Additionally, trending content such as popular new movies or hit TV shows will be featured in the trending category.

Value

At $6.99 a month, or $69.99 a year, Disney+ is one of the cheaper streaming options on the market. While it is much newer than other streaming services such asNetflix ($8.99 a month),  Hulu ($5.99 a month) and Amazon Prime Video ($8.99 a month), the relatively low cost of Disney+, when compared with its variety of existing and planned content, should be seen as a plus to those interested in joining. When looking at what you pay versus what you get, it’s a value that’s worth the fee. 

Is it Worth it?

Compared to its competitors, Disney+ is a great value that has a wide variety of content that one could argue appeals to people of all ages and interests. While time will surely tell as to whether or not the service can hold up against the competition, Disney truly came out of the gate swinging with the addition of this platform in the streaming service market.

I give Disney+ four and a half out of five stars.