Downtown Parade July 4, 2018

The town of Blacksburg gathers around North Main Street to celebrate Independence Day, July 4, 2018.

The seniors have graduated, Blacksburg is empty, you’re here for the summer and have the town to yourself … now what? Don’t fall into a summer slump of doing the same thing over and over –– take advantage of all of the fun things that Blacksburg has to offer. Blacksburg offers many events that students are only able to attend in the summer months.

The 12th Annual Blacksburg Summer Solstice Fest

Come spend the longest day of the year, June 15, with the rest of Blacksburg. Held in the heart of downtown, this free festival offers a variety  of activities for all ages. There are a several food vendors, including favorites like Cabo Fish Taco and The Cellar, and different businesses who will be selling products ranging from health and beauty to home decor from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m.

There are many opportunities for activity; the Downtown Sundown 5k race is open to runners of all ages at 8:30 p.m. but does require participants to wear reflective clothing. There is also free yoga throughout Blacksburg all day, including a morning class at Cabo Fish Taco “beach,” an afternoon class at the Eucalyptus Massage Therapy lawn and an evening class at Alexander Black House lawn. Bring your own mat and don’t worry about your level of experience; these classes are open to everyone.

If yoga and running aren’t your thing, there will be performers at the Freedom First Credit Union stage in the Spicer, Olin & Associates, P.C. Beer Garden starting at 1 p.m. and ending at 11 p.m.

The Beer Festival at Virginia Tech

If you’re a fan of local and regional breweries — and are 21 or older — then you’re in luck; Virginia Tech Alumni Relations will be hosting a Beer Festival at the Holtzman Alumni Center on June 22. This festival is open to the public and features local food trucks, beers from different breweries in the area and performances from noon to 5 p.m.

While you must be of age to purchase alcohol, all ages are welcome to attend.

Beliveau Estate Winery 11th Annual Lavender Festival

This two-day event shows off the sights and smells of beautiful lavender fields at Beliveau Estate. On June 22 and 23, guests get to experience products and foods made with lavender, while listening to music and feeling the relaxing effects of lavender. The winery will be offering wine tastings, as well as selling wine by the glass and bottle. While you must be 21 or older to taste and purchase the wine, this event is open to all ages as well.

Tickets can be purchased online or at the gate for $5 Cash is prefered but credit is accepted.  Dogs must be on leash at all times and must stay outside of the winery. This festival will be going on from noon to 6 p.m.

Blacksburg Independence Day Festivities

Looking to spend your Fourth of July in Blacksburg? You’re in luck. The town of Blacksburg has you covered. Starting at 2 p.m. there will be a parade through downtown, followed by a free movie feature at the Lyric.

At 6 p.m. at Municipal Park there will be activities and music leading up to the grand finale –– the fireworks show will start at 9:30 p.m. and is free to the public to watch.

Whether you’re here for classes, work or anything in between, take a break and grab some friends for these events and kick off your summer the right way.

Lifestyles staff writer

Heather is studying Multimedia Journalism and along with writing for the CT, she is an Executive for The Big Event at Virginia Tech and a reporter and anchor for Virginia Tech Television.