chips and salsa

By cyclonebill (Chips og salsa) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Let’s face it: studying is hungry work. “Brain food” is a not just a clever turn of phrase that your parents use to make you eat carrots. With exams coming up, doomed to return at the end of every semester like a seasonal monsoon, getting your snack on will go a long way towards making sure that you can prepare for final exams without starving yourself. There are many debilitating effects that hunger has upon learning and education; that’s the whole reason school lunches exist. But for our purposes, here are a handful, pardon the pun, of study snacks that will keep your nose in those books.

And just for the record, neither I nor the Collegiate Times are sponsored by these products. I just think they taste good.

Chex Mix

It may seem boring at first glance, but Chex Mix is one of my go-to snacks for studying for one really good reason: there’s about six different kinds of snacks in there and not one of them has a flavor coating that gets on your fingers. Keep in mind that you’re studying, which means that you’re either reading notes or a textbook or you’re reviewing a PowerPoint from a lecture. In short, you’re touching something. Keeping your hands clear of nacho cheese flavoring is a practical move.

Chips and Salsa

Here’s a good one if you’re studying in a group. Chips and salsa were meant to be enjoyed by a group. Since you’re buying two different things, you can split the cost. Heck, I’d even go as far as to make it a study game. You can have all the chips you want, but to get to the salsa, you need to get a question right. A carrot on a stick may be a cynical ploy, but hey, anything to keep that grade up.

Carrots and ranch

Speaking of carrots: if spicy food isn’t really your thing, then carrots and ranch dip or dressing work just as well. Obviously, this is a good choice if you or your study buddy are vegetarians. Aside from that, the crunchy vegetables are cheap and convenient. Plus, who can resist uttering a Bugs Bunny quote every ten seconds while eating these things?

Caramel Popcorn

I mean, of course. Caramel popcorn has all the puffy goodness of popcorn, without the buttery coating to get in the way of studying, plus the delicious outer shell of caramel. It may be a bit more pricey than the ordinary stuff, but it’s worth the extra dough. To me, this one is especially good if the class you’re studying for involves watching a lot of videos or films. You can convince yourself you’re not watching it to study by eating caramel popcorn. Genius.

Don’t study on an empty stomach. Keeping food in your belly will keep you focused and on-task throughout exam week. There’s no point in starving yourself when you’ve got something as important as exams going on in your life. You don’t need the distraction of a rumbling stomach while you study, so make sure you keep yourself full, and good luck on exams!

Lifestyles staff writer

History major from Radford, Virginia. Music Guy. Colloquially know as the 'Walking Encyclopedia'