ENTER-STREAMING-SHOWS-SS-1-MCT

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

*contains spoilers for Breaking Bad*

It has been over six years since we last saw Jesse Pinkman burst through the gates of his captors’ hideout out in the New Mexico desert in the AMC series“Breaking Bad.”  With Walter White’s apparent demise in the show’s series finale, many fans were left to wonder what would become of the loose ends of the series as it came to a close.

Flashforward to 2019, “El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie” was announced as a direct follow-up to the series finale. With Aaron Paul returning to portray the series mainstay Jesse Pinkman, and “Breaking Bad” creator Vince Gilligan returning as director, the movie was touted as a return to its roots. On Oct. 11, the film debuted exclusively on Netflix, with a limited screening in theaters between the 11th and 13th of October as well.

Without spoiling too much, the film is a nice homage to the original series that brought forth both new elements and insights into the “Breaking Bad” universe. In a way, it serves as somewhat of an epilogue to the series finale, thrusting viewers right back to where they left off when the show concluded. 

From someone who has seen the original series in its entirety, I highly recommend completing all five seasons of “Breaking Bad” prior to watching this film. There are numerous references to events, characters and other aspects of the show that those who haven’t seen the original series are sure to miss. While the film by itself is a great movie that can be enjoyed by fans and those who haven’t seen Breaking Bad before, numerous parts of the movie will be confusing if you are unfamiliar with the original show.

For those who have watched most, if not all, episodes of the series, you’re in for a treat, even if it has been “ages” since you’ve watched them. As a viewer who watched the series in its entirety from 2013 to 2014, despite the relatively large time span between when I finished the series and when I watched this movie, it felt as if no time had passed. However, there were some obvious appearance changes in select cast members that formed in the years since the show went off the air.

“I thought I’d say goodbye to this guy years ago, but this is a really nice way to end his story,” said Aaron Paul regarding his potentially last performance as Jesse Pinkman.

The title of the film, “El Camino” translates from Spanish to English as “the path/way/road.”  In a way, the film is a path to closure for those curious about Pinkman’s fate post-Breaking Bad. His road to redemption is highlighted throughout the well-crafted film that, despite its six years post-finale release, is an enjoyable take on a character that has been through it all.

I give this movie four and a half stars out of five.