Blacklist cast

"The Blacklist" cast members Diego Klattenhoff, James Spader and Megan Boone at Comic-Con in San Diego. 

Television has been at a high point in its history for several years now, as critically acclaimed and popular shows hit the screen year after year. Now that the fall season is in full swing, there are numerous new shows and new season premieres to look forward to. Here are five select picks to look out for this fall.

“The Blacklist” Season 7, NBC Network

Ever since it premiered in 2013, “The Blacklist” has been consistently talked about each year. This year will be no different, with the show set to unveil its seventh season on Oct. 4, adding  another 22 episodes to its arsenal. The suspenseful crime thriller about a wanted fugitive and his assistant working with the FBI to catch highly wanted criminals has been full of enthralling twists and turns through its runtime –– it now falls to season seven to capitalize on previous seasons’ story reveals. Will the show work towards a possible final season eight, and will the build up be satisfying? We’ll find out in season seven. 

“The Crown” Season 3, Netflix

The renowned historical drama about the reign of Queen Elizabeth is returning with its third season, which will cover the 1964–1976 period of Elizabeth’s reign. The third season of “The Crown”  features a new cast for several characters, with Olivia Colman cast to take over the role of the queen. Additionally, Tobias Menzies will take over as Prince Phillip, and Helena Bonham Carter will be Princess Margaret. Princess Diana is also planned to debut in the third season. The third season will involve events such as the moon landing, Sir Anthony Blunt being exposed as a Soviet spy, the decolonisation of Africa and the Carribean and Margaret’s long affair with Roddy Llewellyn. The third season is packed with developments for history and drama fans alike, and will premiere Nov. 17.

“Castle Rock” Season 2, Hulu

Produced by J.J. Abrams and Stephen King, “Castle Rock” is a setting that unites all of Stephen King’s work into one universe, all set around the fictional town of Castle Rock, Maine, which frequently appears in his works. An attorney is lured to Castle Rock by an anonymous phone call and ends up embarking to untangle a deep web of mysteries surrounding the town. The show premiered last year and is now set to have a second season airing Oct. 23. Being a love letter to his work, this series is a must for Stephen King and psychological horror fans, and the plot established in the first season is sure to thicken for its second go around.

“Batwoman” The CW

Just listen to the premise: Three years after Bruce Wayne disappears, his cousin must continue what he started by taking on the identity of Batwoman in an effort to protect both her family and her city from a dangerous gang by becoming what her military father hates most. The majority of us enjoy a little Batman content, but it is especially intriguing to see a female take on the role handled by the same people who brought us the television shows of superheroes like “The Flash” and “Arrow.” The show will air on Oct. 6, and regardless of if it’s a hit or a flop, it’s bound to be a unique take on the Batman universe.

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” Season 3, Amazon Prime Video

Highly anticipated ever since the show came out, it’s no wonder this series was renewed for a third season before the second even released. This comedy series revolves around a 1950s housewife who discovers she has a talent for stand-up comedy and embarks on a journey across the world. This season, she is going to Miami. The third season’s plot hints that changes Mrs. Maisel made in the first two seasons are going to impact all of the other characters, creating a state of upheaval that will push the plot to new heights it has never climbed before. Anyone who was charmed by the first two seasons should be prepared to follow along Mrs. Maisel’s adventures once more when Dec. 6 hits.

Whether any of these selections catch your interest, or you’re anticipating different shows this season, one thing is for sure –– there are plenty to choose from, and plenty to discover on the ever-evolving journey that is entertainment.