VT in the Fall

A cloudy fall day at the Drillfield, Oct. 30, 2019.

Welcome, Hokies! Fall classes are getting ready to start — whether you’re ready for them or not. Academic and environmental transitions can be challenging, especially the change from high school to college. Also, many of our heads are still at the beach, overseas or even just at your humble abode back home where you were able to sleep all summer. Luckily, the CT has got you covered! Here are some playlists to fit every type of mood you’re in when you’re here at Tech: happy, sad, frustrated or dreading going to class. 

Laying on the Drillfield in the sun with friends

After a day of classes and homework, there's nothing better to do than to lay on the Drillfield and unwind with your pals. So, grab your hammock, your speaker and some snacks for you and your friends to kick back and relax.

1. Sunday Best by Surfaces

2. Magic in the Hamptons (ft. Lil Yachty) by Social House and Lil Yachty

3. Are You Bored Yet? (ft. Clairo) By Wallows and Clairo

4. Island in the Sun by Weezer

5. Cocoa Butter Kisses by Chance the Rapper, VIC MENSA, and Twista

6. Small Worlds by Mac Miller

Waking up for your 8 a.m. class on a Monday 

So, you’re up way earlier than you want to be — the last thing you want to do is get up out of your cozy bed and walk through campus to listen to a lecture. Fortunately, these songs help you wake up in the morning to face the day ahead of you. They’re not too loud, and they offer some chill energy while you get ready for class. 

1. Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles

2. Japanese Denim By Daniel Caesar

3. Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson 

4. Golden Hour by Kasey Musgraves

5. Pretty Girl by Clairo

6. Sweet Creature by Harry Styles

Studying on Torgersen Bridge

Doing homework at Torgesen Bridge feels like you’re in your own little world. Especially if you’re a procrastinator, sitting down and cranking out those assignments with zero distractions will help tremendously. Make sure to grab one of the cozy cubicles in the bridge that overlooks campus, a snack, and some earbuds and get to work!

1. When This Was All New by Russ

2. I Think I Like When It Rains by WILLIS

3. To Be So Lonely by Harry Styles

4. Lost by Frank Ocean

5. Good News by Mac Miller

6. Normal Girl by SZA

Post-breakdown in Newman Library over that one class

We’ve all been there. Chances are, there will be one class that you just can’t seem to get the hang of. You might go to Newman Library to focus on understanding the material, but soon you realize that your efforts are futile and you just might fail the quiz you have coming up. After this mini-freakout, you’re going to need some pick-me-up jams to regain your confidence. You got this!

1. OK Not To Be OK by Marshmello and Demi Lovato

2. successful by Ariana Grande

3. Truth Hurts by Lizzo

4. Crazy in Love (ft. Jay-Z) by Beyonce and Jay-Z

5. POWER by Kanye West

6. Congratulations by Post Malone and Quavo

Pump up jams for a Virginia Tech football game

Football season is upon us, and Virginia Tech students sure know how to prepare. From tailgating to wearing our favorite colors, orange and maroon in the stands, you need to get hyped for games so you can cheer on your Hokies!

1. Time of Our Lives by Pitbull and Ne-Yo

2. I Gotta Feeling by Black Eyed Peas

3. Club Can’t Handle Me (ft. David Guetta) by Flo Rida and David Guetta

4. Day N’ Nite (nightmare) by Kid Cudi

5. DNA. by Kendrick Lamar

6. Enter Sandman by Metallica

Of course, these songs are just a starting point to set the mood for whatever situation you might be in when you begin your new school year at Virginia Tech. Feel free to make these Hokie-inspired playlists your own, and cater them to you and your music taste. We here at the CT hope this makes you excited for your new school year — be creative and enjoy your first semester as a Hokie. Happy listening!