Foamo

Outside of Foamo, Blacksburg's newest coffee shop, March 9, 2018. 

Coffee, crepes and ice cream: What could be a better combination?

Foamo, a new cafe located at 700 North Main St. in Blacksburg, officially opened on Friday, Feb. 16, 2018. This cafe pairs classic drinks with delicious desserts and creates an urban coffee house vibe with a picturesque aesthetic.

Foamo is an entirely student-run business owned by Virginia Tech senior Youssef Rhanime. He started developing the concept with his brother Mehdi during Youssef’s junior year.

“I opened Foamo in an effort to offer unmatched service and aesthetics in Blacksburg, while at the same time working towards giving back to the community in a very hands on way,” Rhanime said. “We built the place with our own two hands.”

Unlike typical cafes, which tend to serve a multitude of pastries and a large variety of drinks, Foamo has a very simple menu.

“It’s made up of my favorite foods: crepes, ice cream, coffee, and chai,” Rhanime said.

Drinks include several styles of coffee with two flavors: vanilla and caramel; and three options of roasts: Guatemalan light roast, Brazilian medium roast and Indian dark roast. For those who don’t like coffee, there are also several varieties of tea and juice on the menu.

In regards to food, Foamo serves mostly desserts. These include popular European favorites like macaroons and tiramisu, as well as a variety of flavored crepes and rolled ice creams. There are seven different crepe flavors, the most popular of which are chocolate, Oreo and vanilla ice cream.

The rolled ice cream flavors are divided into three main categories: candy, which consists of popular candy bars such as Snickers, Kit Kats and Twix; cereal, which includes four cereal favorites, including Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Puffs; and three premium flavors: Ferrero Rocher, Milano and Kinder.

The service at Foamo is excellent, and despite the cafe being extremely popular and crowded, the staff makes sure to interact with each and every customer.

Food is served in an extremely visually pleasing manner, on a perfectly rectangular slab of wood, with the exception of rolled ice cream, which is served in a paper cup. Crepes are neatly folded and drizzled with the customer’s flavor of choice with whipped cream on the side. One can’t help but take a picture of one’s food.

The inside of the restaurant is aesthetically appealing, modern but not edgy and unique in its own way. Everything from the floors and ceiling to the tables and shelves appear to be different shades of brown, giving the place a simple, woodsy tone. The walls by the entrance are lined with shelves full of succulents, adding to the naturesque look.

Unfortunately, Foamo does not offer any delivery or to-go options at this point, but who knows what could be added in the future? The cafe is open from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m., perfect for those who want to grab a late-night bite.