Gobblerfest 2018

Panorama of Gobblerfest shot from the War Memorial Pylons, Aug. 31, 2018.

If you’re a member of the Class of 2023, chances are you’ve heard of this little issue Virginia Tech is having called over-enrollment. There are 7500 of you coming to our beautiful campus this fall, which is excellent, but it also means you’ll have to deal with some of the side effects of having over 1,000 more students in your class than anticipated. One thing that has become even more essential to your college experience is Gobblerfest.

For those of you whose orientation leaders haven’t nailed this into your heads yet, Gobblerfest is an annual festival on the Drillfield where clubs and student organizations line up to advertise their groups and recruit members. You’ll see everyone from the Chocolate Milk Monday Club to Greek organizations lined up to meet you and tell you what they’re all about. This year, Gobblerfest is on Friday, Sept. 6 from 4 to 7p.m., so mark your calendars.

On normal years, Gobblerfest is busy, but doable. However, with over 1,000 more of you than expected, some tips to help you move through the crowds and add your name to sign-up sheets could be useful.

Arrive early

Show up to the Drillfield as soon as you can. Why? Get free stuff before they run out. Several organizations will be handing items out such as T-shirts, candy, stickers and bags of goodies, and by arriving right at 4 p.m. or a tad earlier, you’ll be sure to get clothing in your size and any treats you want. 

Bring a bag

By bringing along any sort of drawstring or tote bag, you’ll have an easy way to carry around all of the free stuff you pick up over the course of your three hours on the Drillfield. You may be able to get a free bag at the festival, but if they run out, you don’t want to be left with nothing but your arms to carry all of your goodies.

Only sign up for what you’re actually interested in

For the sake of the student organizations and your email inbox, only put your name and email down for the organizations you really want to participate in. With more freshmen comes more sign-ups, and while organizations want to recruit as many people as possible, limiting the number of emails they have to send will simplify their processes. This will also keep your email from being bombarded on Sept. 7 with emails from organizations you don’t see yourself joining.

Talk to your top picks

It can be easy at an event like GobblerFest to walk with friends and just grab fliers as they’re handed to you. There’s nothing wrong with that, but there are benefits to taking the time to talk to the groups you’re interested in. If the members can put a name or email address to a face, they’re more likely to want to engage with you at their first meeting and watch out for you during the recruitment process.

The bottom line is, if you arrive promptly and balance getting free stuff with engaging with your top picks for organizations, you’re set to have a great evening. Your group of friends awaits your arrival.

Managing Editor

Ashley Long is a managing editor at the Collegiate Times. She is studying Public Relations and lives in northern Virginia.