Valentine's Day

Flower bouquet at Kroger, Jan. 27. 2019.

If you’re panicking that your significant other will never love you again because you’re struggling to find a Valentine’s Day gift for them, never fear. Blacksburg may be a small town, but there are still plenty of places to find a sweet present for your special someone.

If you’re looking for a romantic floral bouquet to surprise your sweetheart, the Virginia Tech Horticulture Club offers roses for prices as low as $5. Roses come wrapped in wax paper or in a vase, and some options even come with baby’s breath. Roses can be delivered to any address in Blacksburg or picked up at Saunders Hall on Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14. 

In the case you’re an unfortunate forgetful soul pressed for time, you could pick up some flowers on your shopping trip. Both Blacksburg Krogers offer flowers for low prices and they look just as beautiful. You could even buy a variety of different flowers and make your own arrangement.

If your significant other is into thrifting, you could pick them up something that reminds you of them from the newly opened VT Thrift. The pop-up shop is open for the semester and is located in downtown Blacksburg at 116 N. Main St. and is open Fridays 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. Pick up some affordable, cute finds that are sure to put a smile on your sweetheart’s face.

You could even get your significant other a more school-spirited gift like a Virginia Tech hoodie or shirt. Hoodies are cozy and every college student’s go-to comfy classroom apparel. There’s no doubt your gift would be well loved and worn frequently. Swing by the Campus Emporium store downtown and pick up some Hokie gear this Valentine’s Day.

Support your fellow students and gift your significant other a pair of trendy earrings from Mint To Be Crafty. This is a small business run by Sydney Cole who makes clay-based dangling earrings ranging in all kinds of shapes and colors, from small green leaves to Hokie-colored half circles. These are sure to make your sweetheart feel as beautiful as you know they are.

If you want a sweet surprise for your significant other, two local shops offer just what you’re looking for. The Chocolate Spike offers heart-shaped boxes of chocolate truffles with flavors ranging from raspberry to mint fillings. Prices range from $4.99 to $32.99 and you can even pre-order them. Carol Lee Donuts also offers Valentine’s Day donuts that have light pink frosting with pink and white sprinkles. Show your significant other how much you care with a dozen donuts.

With the wide selection of gifts Blacksburg has to offer, some of these ideas are guaranteed to keep the love in your relationship lasting longer than the flowers you buy your significant other.