BT app route page

The routes page of the Blacksburg Transit app.

When it comes to exploring the endless possibilities and opportunities that college life has to offer, it can be difficult at times to find what best suits your interests. It may be simple things such as finding events in the area, or maybe ways to travel around. Here are some of the top app options for all types of Hokies. 

Ventello 

Looking to expand your involvement around campus? Seeking to try new things around the Blacksburg area? The Ventello app is a new offering on the App Store that allows college students to be informed on the various events going on around their area. For those seeking to enrich their college experience, download the app and see what there is to do around campus.

Spin

Odds are you’ve seen the electric scooters parked and scooted around campus this past school year. These Spin scooters are a cheap, quick way of getting around campus without the need of hopping in a car and fiending for a parking spot. Once you’ve downloaded the app, all it takes is adding your payment information and having your driver’s licence verified, then you’re good to start scooting.

Blacksburg Transit

If you utilize the Blacksburg Transit system in any way, shape or form, this app is a must-have. It provides information on bus routes, pick-up and drop-off times, as well as live tracking of buses so you can watch their progress, among other features. For the number of you out there who already have the app, make sure to have it updated if you haven’t done so; the old version of the app is borderline inoperable in comparison to the latest update.

Grubhub

Looking to beat the line at one of your favorite dining halls on campus? Or perhaps have a meal delivered right to your door or dorm? The Grubhub app meets both of those desires and more. Dining halls such as Turner Place, Owens Food Court and West End Market offer students the ability to place orders for most restaurant options such as Origami, Jamba Juice, Qdoba, Freshen’s and others without having to wait in line to order. For those seeking delivery service to their on- or off-campus housing, they can place orders on the app from local dining options such as Chipotle, Moe’s and other places to choose from. 

“I’m a fan of the Grubhub app,” said Jeremie Dufrois, a freshman majoring in computer science. “It lets me check wait times at dining halls and place orders remotely.” 

Virginia Tech HokieSports

Big fan of Tech athletics? The Virginia Tech HokieSports app is an app for those who enjoy all that Tech has to offer sports-wise. This app allows fans to get personalized notifications of game updates, score alerts and live-game audio for a variety of athletic events going on. If you follow any of Virginia Tech’s sports, this app is a must.   

Hokies on Track

Hokies on Track is an app designed for incoming Hokies attending new student orientation or transitioning to Virginia Tech. It’s definitely one to download should you want a stress-free time getting familiarized with Tech. Whether it be orientation schedules, what to expect for orientation or info on Hokie Camp, Hokies on Track is an app that will serve the needs of new students.

Hooked Deals

For those looking to be frugal on their spending when going around Blacksburg, the Hooked Deals app is a great way to save when shopping. It’s an app catered to college towns across the U.S. that offers numerous deals and promotional offers from a variety of restaurants and bars. Places such as Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Insomnia Cookies, Hwy 55 Hwy 55 Burgers Shakes & Fries and Panda Express are just some of the local favorites that  offer deals through the app.

Regardless of what you’re seeking to get out of your college experience, these apps offer a variety of ways for you to enrich your time here. Download some if you don’t have them already and see what’s in store for your future plans.