Car Club spring car show 2015

On Saturday, April 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Prices Fork parking lot will be jam-packed with cars, bikes and plenty of action as the Car Club at Virginia Tech hosts its annual spring car show.

“The Car Club has been doing shows since the mid-2000s, and the spring one is always the biggest,” said club president Hunter Phillips, a junior studying wildlife conservation. “Last year, there were more than 200 cars entered in the show.” Not to mention the large audience that typically attends as well.

The spring car show is not just limited to Virginia Tech and its students; the show itself is completely open to the public. “People from throughout the New River Valley love to come out,” Phillips said. “We have people come from Roanoke, and sometimes the car clubs at JMU and Radford show in attendance.”

With the amount of diverse car owners coming to the show, there is always potential for a wide variety of cars, trucks and motorcycles to look at. “Many of the cars in the show are American, a lot of Mustangs and Camaros,” Phillips said. “But there’s always a huge variety of pretty much everything, from right-hand drive RX7’s to ‘rock crawler’ Ford Broncos to custom race cars and motorcycles.”

There has also been a consistent number of rare and exotic cars over the years. “There’s a guy who always comes out and he’s got a Ford GT, a Lamborghini Miura and a Porsche 911,” said club vice president Patrick Caron, a freshman engineering major. “It’s nice, though, because the show really is for everybody.”

What makes the spring show much bigger than the fall show is the Dyno provided by the club, according to Phillips. For those who don’t know, a Dyno is a large machine that professionals use to test how much horsepower the car has.

“This will be the biggest and most unique part of the event, because there are a lot of high horsepower cars making really loud passes throughout the day, and we can all see what the cars can really do, safely,” Phillips said. The cost to put one’s car on the Dyno is $40 for a session.

“(There are) also going to be trophies and awards for the cars entered in the show,” Caron said. The awards will be split up among different categories, such as imports and best custom vehicles, so everyone is encouraged to bring their cars and have a good time.

The car show will also have several vendors present displaying items. “Advance Auto Parts is guaranteed to come, and some others such as Summit Racing and MAC Tool may come as well,” Phillips said. “There will also be food available during the event and music.”

For those who have a passion for cars and are interested in more than just two car shows, the Car Club also holds weekly meetings. “Every week, on Thursdays at 7 p.m., we have our swap meet, which is our general car meet on the fifth level of the parking garage,” Caron said. In addition, they hold biweekly meetings on Mondays and hold in-club events, such as participating in Autocross races and group cruises.

If you are interested in joining the Car Club at Virginia Tech, the best way to reach them is through Facebook, where they post all of their events and meeting times. They also have a website with a forum. Everybody is welcome to join the club, even those who don’t have a car.

“We want the club to be a place where everyone can have a good time and share a common interest,” Phillips said.

The car show is completely free to spectators, and the cost to enter one’s car in the show is $10. There will be a promo for the show on Thursday, April 25, on the Drillfield, during which anyone can come up and ask questions.