Netflix logo CMYK

And so the journey continues . . . The second season of the hit Netflix show, “The End of the F***ing World,” premiered Nov. 5. The start of the new season brings new and interesting characters to the story, like insane, revenge-seeker Bonnie, played by Naomi Ackie, and motel owner Gus, played by Tim Key. Along with these new characters, the original stars of the show, Alex Lawther and Jessica Barden, return in their roles as James and Alyssa.

As a recap, season one followed high schoolers James and Alyssa leaving their town, driving all over England, getting into trouble and falling in love with one another throughout the process. During this first season, Alyssa was almost raped by a professor who was a murderer himself and the owner of the house the two broke into, but James killed the man before he could go through with the deed. The rest of the season was summed up into the two running away from the police and trying not to get caught by the authorities. 

The season ended with the dramatic big bang of James knocking out Alyssa and taking the blame for the killing as the police finally found them on an English beach. Running, James led the police away from Alyssa while the authorities pulled out their guns and shot at him. The ending scene showed James bleeding out as Alyssa was holding him and crying over his limp body, leading viewers to believe that James died. But — surprise, surprise — the writers decided to trick viewers, and James was brought back into the picture for this riveting second season. 

The second season is focused around the repercussions that James and Alyssa suffer due to the death of professor Clive Koch in season one. The first episode starts out with the new character of Bonnie, who was the professor’s student and lover, planning to seek revenge on James and Alyssa for killing the love of her life. When Bonnie gets out of jail for attempting a hit and run on another woman whom the professor was also seeing, she immediately starts hunting down James and Alyssa with a plan to kill them both. 

As the second episode begins, Alyssa is shown to be an emotionless and lost person trying to move on from the supposed death of James and move past the haunting memory of her encounter with Professor Koch. She, her mother and the twins go to stay with her aunt. Alyssa finds a job working as a waitress in her aunt’s diner, ends up meeting a boy, dating him for about a week and marrying him. The day before she marries him, though, she finds out James is still alive when he shows up at the diner. After the wedding, the two run off together for a few days. While driving one day, they pick up Bonnie who is posing as a hitchhiker. For three days, the three go on multiple adventures with many twists and turns along the way. 

Season two of “The End of the F***ing World” brings shocks, laughs, tears and will keep you on your toes throughout the captivating eight episodes. There is unexpected murder, death, marriage and love. The new season of this weirdly satisfying and oddly loved show is adored by many and personally, I believe it to be better than the first season. “The second season is even more engrossing and entertaining than the last. I binged all eight episodes in a span of 3 hours the first day it came out,” said Libby Humes, freshman majoring in neuroscience.

Season two of “The End of the F***ing World” got an 89% on Rotten Tomatoes and an 87% audience score rating. In addition, Rotten Tomatoes said that season two “dives deep into the darkest creases of the leading pair's memories to emerge a darkly funny meditation on love and trauma.” If this article alone does not give you the curiosity and intrigue to watch this smashing show, let Rotten Tomatoes inspire you to give it a view because many people know how hard it is to get a good score on Rotten Tomatoes. So do yourself a favor, take a break from studying, and watch this new captivating second season of “The End of the F***ing World.”

I give the new season a four and a half out of five stars.