ENTER MUS-GRAMMYS 130 LA

The Jonas Brothers arrive at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on Sunday, January 31, 2010.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock or have no internet, you know that the Jonas Brothers (Kevin, Joe and Nick) are back and better than ever with their new album, “Happiness Begins.”

This album has the perfect blend of summery romantic vibes and staying true to their original music while introducing new fans to their sound, and it works very nicely together.

“Happiness Begins” starts off with their first single released in six years, “Sucker.” It has a great beat as well as lyrics and was the perfect comeback song. All three brothers had a hand in writing this song so fans know it came from the heart. The music video for the single was released at the same time as the single and features all of the brothers’ wives known as The J Sisters, the ones the brothers are “suckers” for.

“Cool” is the second single released from “Happiness Begins” and gives off major ‘80s vibes, which the Jonas Brothers have stated influences their songs. The tune is also chock-full of references to previous Jonas Brothers songs and inside personal jokes. The line “standing there with the red dress on ya” in “Cool” references the lyrics “high heels, red dress,” an iconic and well-loved line from their 2008 song “Burnin’ Up.” Joe also references the TV show “Game of Thrones” which his wife, Sophie Turner, acted in.

Many songs on the album have shown that the Jonas Brothers have grown up and have matured since their Disney Channel days such as “Only Human,” “I Believe” and “Every Single” with lyrics alluding to drugs and alcohol as well as sexual undertones. These songs are sensual and soulful and show that the boys us Generation Z kids have grown up with are all grown.

“Used to Be” and “Every Single Time” focus on the trials and tribulations of bad relationships that the brothers want to get out of but they can’t because they still want the best for their partner. The songs are good and you can tell the brothers want the best for their past flames.

“Don’t Throw It Away” and “Love Her” are possibly my two favorite tunes on the album. “Don’t throw It Away” is catchy upbeat and makes me want to rock out to the ‘80s-infused bop in the middle of my bedroom (I have done so every time the song played on my Spotify). “Love Her” is soft and beautiful. The song is essentially a love letter to all of the brothers’ wives and mentions the sacrifices they’ve made to make them happy. The listener can feel the men’s emotions in the lyrics and beat and because of this, I’m very much in my feels with this song.

One of the last songs on the album is “Rollercoaster.” People who have watched the recent Jonas Brothers documentary “Chasing Happiness” may have heard this song in the movie. This feel-good song tells the origin story of the brothers trying to make it big in music and mentioning all of their good and bad memories they’ve had trying to reach fame. The song is sweet and sentimental and is another one of my favorites off the album. 

My one critique of the album is that there is a serious lack of Kevin. He has five writing credits on the album and plays guitar for Joe and Nick. Is it too much to ask for my new favorite Jo Bro to sing at least one chorus? Kevin is in the middle of the album cover, which is a first for him, and I for one am very happy for him. 

Overall, the songs have a catchy beat and lyrics, and it’s the perfect selection of songs to jam out to at the beach or pool. I know for a fact that I will be blasting this album all summer. I give “Chasing Happiness” four and a half out of five stars. I took off half a point for a serious lack of Kevin.