Men's Basketball vs. UVA

The student section jumps to Enter Sandman before the game against UVA, Feb. 26, 2020.

Get excited for the upcoming basketball season with a curated playlist created by some of the writers on the lifestyles staff. No matter your music style or favorite team, this playlist will get you ready to cheer on the Hokies and do the Smithfield Sizzle during timeouts.

Olivia Ferrare, lifestyles section editor

My favorite part of basketball games in Cassel is the close-knit energy in the student section. From the jumping and screaming along with the music during timeouts to the dead silence during free throw shots, the noises of the game are electric. My picks are all country hits that have a good, solid beat. 

• Country Girl by Luke Bryan

• 5-1-5-0 by Dierks Bentley

• The Middle by Zedd and Maren Morris

Emanda Seifu, lifestyles assistant editor

Some of the best parts of basketball game days are being surrounded by your friends and fellow Hokies in Cassell’s student section. The chants and the energy exuded within the building is indescribable. Because of this, my game day music is filled with tons of rock and pop music.

• We Will Rock You by Queen

• Eye of the Tiger by Survivor

• Thunder by Imagine Dragons

Kayleigh Kalagher, lifestyles contributor

I would say my music taste is all over the place, and I know a lot of people feel the same. However, I've definitely have specific playlists that I make to get me excited for game days. If I had to choose, I'd say my favorite kinds of music would be oldies, pop and indie! 

• Bennie and the Jets by Elton John

• Tonight Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae

• Sunday by Ben Rector (feat. Snoop Dogg)

• September by Earth, Wind & Fire 

Leeanna Duong, lifestyles writer

I dabble in a little bit of everything when it comes to music, but I love a good pop song to get me pumped up. Just about anything with a good beat and flow will get me going, but these songs in particular never fail to get me movin’ and groovin’.

• Motive by Ariana Grande feat. Doja Cat

• Sweetest Pie by Dua Lipa & Megan Thee Stallion

• Vroom Vroom by Charli XCX

Michaela Scott, lifestyles contributor

I love to de-stress after a long day with R&B or oldies, but I definitely listen to more upbeat tunes to get hype for a game. When I wake up on game days, there is no better feeling than blasting hip-hop or pop music that will get me dancing. 

• Gettin’ Jiggy Wit It by Will Smith

• Bulletproof by La Roux

• The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani (feat. Akon) 

Laurel Molloy, lifestyles contributor

To get hyped up for a game and to make my heart start beating to the drums of the Marching Virginians, I love listening to alternative rock and Arcane playlists. Arcane is an animated series with a powerful and rather Joker-esque soundtrack that can excite just about anyone. 

• Enemy feat. J.I.D. by Imagine Dragons

• Misfit Toys by Mako and Pusha T

• Snakes by Pvris

• Playground by Bea Miller

Angela Nell-Tascon, lifestyles contributor

Game days are always an exciting mix of chaos and fun for the Hokies. The music I listen to with friends in preparation for some of Virginia Tech’s sporting events like basketball are a good mix of songs that reflect the rollercoaster of emotions that I experience during an infamous Hokie basketball game.

• T.G.I.F. by Kid Cudi

• COZY by Beyonce

• Senior Skip Day by Mac Miller

• Pretty Girl Rock by Keri Hilson

Aidan Mason, lifestyles contributor

My taste in music tends to be very unorthodox and diverse. I switch from genre to genre, depending on my mood for the day. But above all else, I love things that give me energy and spirit. It’s what makes me want to move and to cheer.

• SymphonicSuite (AoT) Part2-1st: Attack on Titan (Wmid) by Hiroyuki Sawano

• Kingdoms Fall by Red Means Run

• Flúga by SKÁLD

• Rent by Jonathan Larson

If you enjoy our staff’s recommendations, check out this specific playlist and more on the Collegiate Times Spotify account