(Opinion) Squires Student Center

Squires Student Center, Feb. 12, 2018.

Whether you’re looking to branch out this semester, learn about various organizations to join or simply just want to try something new, GobblerFair is the place to go. Part of truly experiencing college is broadening your horizons by taking part in activities and interests beyond the classroom setting. From club offerings to leadership opportunities, here are some of the reasons why you should stop by.

With this being the first spring involvement fair at Virginia Tech, GobblerFair is the perfect opportunity for those who didn’t attend GobblerFest in the fall or who simply want to check out offerings that they didn’t previously know about or consider. Student organizations from all walks of Hokie lifestyles will be showcasing who they are and what their groups represent. 

It's a great opportunity for people who may feel as though they didn't quite find their perfect fit,” said Garrett Niles, a junior studying marketing. “Maybe you tried a few things out in the first semester but nothing really stuck. That's cool (that) VT has a ton more to offer and GobblerFair is the place to go to learn about it all.” 

Most booths will have some form of sign-up sheet for you to put down your contact information so that they can reach out to you about their upcoming activities and general information about them. Don’t feel pressured to just give out your email or phone number to any and everyone. Make sure to let the organizations that genuinely interest you have a way to reach out to you.

Like GobblerFest, GobblerFair is bound to be full of free goodies from the various tables across the room. It’s common for clubs and organizations to offer prizes and other products for those who take the time to hear their approach, so make sure to visit and learn from the tables you see.

It’s one thing to look online and see what is offered here at Virginia Tech; it’s another thing to meet representatives from these offerings in person. You might even come across an organization that you hadn’t even seen before that peaks your interest. It’s not uncommon to come to these types of events and walk away with a desire to do more beyond your pre existing activities. Come in with an open mind, and walk out with new interests.

Whether you come for a few minutes or a few hours, GobblerFair is the place to be on Friday, Jan. 31, from 3 to 6 p.m. in Squires Student Center. With over 50 organizations in attendance, you won’t want to miss this.