Student online shopping

Photo of a student online shopping while studying at Newman Library, Jan. 29, 2019.

As midterms come to a close, we may find ourselves dreary-eyed and wondering what to do with our lives now that studying has ceased. After coming home from our final midterm, we think to ourselves, “Now what?” In the intermission between midterms and finals this fall, there are only a short few weeks to receive our dose of socialization and sleep. Considering Thanksgiving break is essentially our last period of semi-relaxation before finals ramp up again, here are some tips, tricks and toils to keep you occupied during this quaint intermission period.  

After arriving home from handing in your final midterm, you may just notice how dirty your room has become. Half-empty cups and water bottles line any available surface. Clothes scatter the floor because putting them in the hamper was just unfathomable in that moment of lethargy.  Now might just be the time to clear your room of the so-called “midterm aftermath.” 

In addition to cleaning your bedroom, it may be beneficial to clear your mind as well. On the condition that you decide sweating may alleviate any of your testing anxiety, stop by McComas or War Memorial.  Studies prove that exercise alleviates stress. So if, at the beginning of the year, you decided that a class pass was a necessity, and yoga just so happens to be your “thing,” drop into Grace I.’s class in McCommas at 7 p.m. in Studio B on Tuesday evening; she makes use of essential oils at the close of each session that just about puts any anxieties at ease. It poses as the perfect destresser reminding you through words of affirmation that you are, in fact, valuable despite how poorly you may have just tested.  

If physical activity isn’t exactly your forte, your online shopping cart may just need some nourishment. So, embrace capitalism and browse sites for the perfect maroon and orange clothing to keep you warm during Hokie games as the temperature begins to plummet. Pro tip: Start to prepare for Blacksburg’s treacherous winters in advance; if not dressed properly, the bitter cold and intense wind will quite literally bring tears to your eyes.  

In addition to the warm clothing hunt, winter might mean cuffing season for the single population at Tech. If we’re thinking logistically, those in search of the perfect mate may want to start looking now. In only a few short weeks, break holds us hostage back home as we undergo the Thanksgiving food coma. After that, only two weeks lie before reading day Dec. 12, and, at that point, the population in search of anything besides the perfect grade is a relatively small one. Following finals, we all go home for at least a month, and we know that there is no relationship future at home among your fellow high school classmates.  

Your focus, however, may not be that of romance this time of year like some. Midterms might not have gone as planned. In order to capitalize on your success this semester, you may need to start finals prep as soon as possible. Start thinking ahead. We all know that although you have been studying in Newman nearly every day for the past few months, finals season brings just about everyone and their mother to the scene.  

It may be better to shift your focus elsewhere. Beyond the crowded section outside of Au Bon Pain in Squires, if you travel deep into the heart of Squires you’ll find odd tables (with outlets) throughout the building. Travel off the beaten path. Nearly every academic building houses tables and seating areas perfect for a quiet study beyond the cramped quarters of Turner, Newman, Torg or New Classroom Building. Like Squires, any other dining hall, Hancock Hall or, if you have the money, Blacksburg coffee shops all have plenty of seating. While they might not be quite as quiet as the third floor of Newman Library, they’re not nearly as congested.    

In general, consider this time frame a period of opportunity to reset and regroup. Unwind after those sleepless nights spent studying, because finals aren’t as far away as you’d like to think.