Post Malone

Post Malone performing on July 15, 2019. 

Post Malone’s third studio album is finally live and it does not disappoint. Spotify’s United States Top 50 is swept with songs from Malone and the album is soon to be No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart. I think it is safe to say that the album is a success. “Hollywood’s Bleeding,” dropped on Friday, Sept. 6, features collaborative tracks from Halsey and Future, Meek Mill, Lil Baby and even Ozzy Osbourne.

Malone’s previous album, “beerbongs & bentleys,” while immensely popular with crowds stretching from teenage girls to Bud Light beer-drinking men, ultimately lost Malone’s voice and drained his artist identity in an attempt to embrace the Los Angeles rapper stereotype. 

While “beerbongs & bentleys” reeked of LA-glam-ridden vibes, Malone’s new album was written in a natural, home-based mood from his move to Utah to get away from the nitty gritty grind of the industry and get out of the spotlight. 

Known for dabbling in both the pop and hip-hop genres, “Hollywood’s Bleeding” shows Malone’s maturity in allowing his music to become more like his own in pulling from both the rock and pop subgenres. This change is specifically evident in the track “Take What You Want” featuring Ozzy Osbourne and Travis Scott, where Malone truly leaves behind his false labelling as a rapper and truly embodies himself as a rockstar.

Another track that really stood out to me is “Allergic” because it sounds like a song that Harry Styles could have sung. Not to say that the song is not good, because it is far from that, but this new version of Post Malone is almost a polar opposite to the “White Iverson” Post Malone from 2015. Nonetheless, it was among my personal favorites.

My other two favorites on the album are the underappreciated “Internet” and the album’s namesake “Hollywood’s Bleeding.” These tracks are creative in lyric technicality and introduce a vibey rhythm. 

In lieu of this being Malone’s poppiest album yet, my attention immediately drew towards “Staring at the Sun” featuring SZA, and “A Thousand Bad Times.” Both of these tracks are completely and entirely pop-love songs. The songs have lyrics such as, “but girl, what I can promise is I'll let you down” and “without that face, girl, you wouldn't get far.” These are both very angsty mainstream-romance concepts. But I guess we all know Posty has dealt with an intense heartbreak or two ...

“On The Road” featuring Meek Mill and Lil Baby, “Saint-Tropez,” and “Enemies” featuring DaBaby are the truest tracks to Malone’s previous hip-hop and R&B songs. While these songs are noticeably popular, I personally think that “Enemies” is the worst track on the album and I will continue to skip it when it comes on shuffle because of its basic, repetitive and unoriginal lyrics and beat.

I highly recommend the album as I think it is worth the listen. Post Malone is one of the top artists of this generation and this album really proves his place in the industry. He is not going anywhere but up. Overall, the album is a four and a half out of five. I absolutely love it, but there is always room to improve.