Billy Porter Oscars 2019

Billy Porter during the arrivals at the 91st Academy Awards on Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center in Hollywood, Calif.

The 91st Academy Awards ceremony was on Sunday, February 24, and not only are the Oscars the ultimate night of awards season, but winning an Oscar is also one of cinema’s highest honors. This year’s ceremony included old and new faces among the actors, entertainers and celebrities that attended, and they were, of course, dressed to the nines. Everyone’s eyes were on the red carpet to see what Hollywood’s biggest stars would be wearing when they arrived. Here are some of my favorite looks of the night.

Kacey Musgraves

The country singer may not have been nominated for any Oscars, but she’s clearly still riding high from her four Grammy wins earlier this month, and her fashion choices certainly reflected it. She arrived wearing a cotton candy pink, floaty Giambattista Valli Couture dress that made her look like the fairy goddess that she is.

Amy Adams

Though it’s true that a basic, shiny form-fitting dress is a classic choice for the Oscars red carpet, Amy Adams still looked amazing in a shimmering silver dress, which she accessorized nicely with Cartier jewelry. Her dark eye makeup and red hair were a great compliment to the light-colored dress.

Gemma Chan

The “Crazy Rich Asians” star came colorfully dressed in a bright pink Valentino Couture dress. The shocking fuchsia color, along with a high-neck ruffled collar and Bulgari jewelry, ensured that Chan was one of the most unique, and most visible, actors on the red carpet.

Tessa Thompson

Tessa Thompson arrived looking stunning in a form-fitting black and gold Chanel dress. Though I’m sure she would look good in anything, this outfit was perfect for Thompson, who paired it with gold eye makeup, loose, wavy hair, Chanel jewelry and Jimmy Choo heels.

Selma Blair

Though actress Selma Blair wasn’t on the actual Oscars red carpet, she made a splash at the Vanity Fair after party in a flowy, multicolored Ralph and Russo Couture dress, along with a cape attached to a choker. Blair, who suffers from Multiple Sclerosis, also brought her cane along, which was not only an amazing addition to the look but also raised awareness for her illness.

Rachel Weisz

Rachel Weisz was, without a doubt, the most uniquely dressed person at the Oscars. She arrived in a two-piece red Givenchy Couture gown; the bottom was embroidered and sparkly, while the top was red latex. I never thought that I would see latex on the Oscars red carpet, but I surprisingly loved this look, and I give Weisz points for stepping outside the box.

Glenn Close

Unfortunately, Glenn Close now holds the record for the most Oscar-nominated actress without a single win. However, she came dressed in an incredible Oscars statue-esque look by Carolina Herrera. The dress was gold and draped around her beautifully, and it included a gold cape that was apparently made out of four million beads and weighed over 40 pounds.

Billy Porter

Broadway and television star Billy Porter’s look had heads turning as soon as he showed up. Designed by Christian Siriano, Porter wore a velvet tuxedo gown with a flowing train. Siriano is known for dressing people who don’t necessarily fit into the mold, and he displayed that again on Sunday. People online either loved it or hated it, but no matter what you thought, Porter proved that taking a fashion risk will always get people talking.

Now that awards season has come to a close, I can’t help but wonder what next year will be like. The Academy Awards bring the cream of the crop of Hollywood, and to many, what you wear on the red carpet is just as important as what happens during the actual ceremony. Let’s hope that next year’s award-show looks are just as fabulous as this year’s. Until then, I’ll be looking wistfully at the pictures from this year, waiting for it all to start again.