Dollar Tree Store in Christiansburg

Dollar Tree in Christiansburg, Va, Oct. 1, 2019

Many companies offer drastically low prices on their products, which can invoke skepticism. Dollar Tree is one of many stores that does not escape this doubt and leads one to wonder about its motive. There must be a reason why the products are at such a low price point, or else the company would have increased them long ago. Is it because they are low quality? Is there really anything that’s worth buying there? 

A holistic examination of Dollar Tree can answer these doubts. If the products are really worth it, it would greatly benefit us college students who like to be, as the saying goes, “bangin’ on a budget.” 

Dollar Tree is located on South Main Street, only a five-minute walk from the Kroger in the Green Gables Shopping Center. Because of its accessible location, anyone can easily get there  via car or bus.

The store itself is clean and organized, despite the exterior’s worn-down appearance. As soon as you enter, the holiday season is on full display; an array of orange leaf-covered mugs and plates are lined up neatly alongside a stack of similarly designed kitchen towels. Halloween paraphernalia covers the far-right wall in a wave of purple and orange.

While these items may incite the holiday spirit, they are not the most practical for the everyday college student. Those products are found en masse in the center of the store. Aisles four, five, six, seven and 10 are the go-to; whatever you’re looking for, you’ll probably find in one of these five.

Aisles four through seven span the health, beauty and home decor portion of the store. Anything from makeup to candles can be found here. Some notable items include Colgate toothpaste and toothbrushes, Yardley bath soap and candles in glass holders. It was surprising to see brand names such as Colgate, as they are often seen in more traditional stores like Walmart or Target. Ceramic “@” symbols and mini wooden cactus welcome signs are among various home decor items that can give any living space a trendy feel. While this section did not have any branded items, the selection was comparable to that of craft stores.

Aisle 10 is arguably the most important one: snacks and drinks. Who would pay extra money at another store if you can get the same thing for $1? Household snacks like Oreo Minis and Fudge Stripes are available, along with Welch’s juices, Sparkling Ice and Arizona Tea. It also houses the candy section, which is chock-full of M&Ms, Reese’s, Starburst, Sour Patch Kids, and more — basically a sugar rush. If you prefer healthier foods and have a headache just thinking about how much sugar is packed in one place, worry not — more natural options such as freeze-dried strawberries or banana chips are available.

Of course, it is important not to overlook the other products sold, which can be categorized as generic versions of their pricier counterparts. There is nothing wrong with purchasing them, but they are not as good quality as the products that are made by widely known companies. For products such as “Shasta Cola,”  it would probably be best to spend the extra few dollars to buy the actual drink. In fact, if you do buy the products at Dollar Tree that you usually buy from Walmart, you can use that money you saved to go back to Walmart and buy a Coca Cola. It’s a win-win situation.

Overall, this Dollar Tree impressed me. Not only is it well maintained, it also offers everyday products that are from known brands at an affordable price. I would recommend anyone going to this store, as it really does have some standout quality products that are worth the visit. My doubts are cleared.

I give Dollar Tree five out of five stars.