Grad Guide, Sep. 18, 2018

There are countless benefits of going to graduate school. You have the opportunity to expand your education, complete research, have a competitive edge over others in your job market, and potentially receive higher future promotions.

If you are reading this article, you are more than likely considering attending grad school after graduation. If you find yourself stuck weighing the options about whether to attend grad school right after graduation or to wait a few years, fret not. There are pros and cons to both options; don’t get caught up in the back-and-forth. Here are the benefits of both options.

Before you even commit to the idea of pursuing a master’s degree, consider the level of commitment that grad school requires: a seemingly unlimited amount of time, effort, emotional stability and money. If that’s peachy keen with you, keep reading.

Why you should pursue a master’s degree right after graduation

You’re young

This is a factor that will set you apart from other job candidates after you’ve received your master’s degree. Potential employers will remember you if you’re a “kid wonder” with a master’s degree. Many people will procrastinate when it comes to receiving their master’s while getting caught up with work, kids and mortgages instead. In addition to this, you can also study and learn with your own generation. You may even find a few opportunities to shadow a professor and see how the industry works from a different point of view.

It may be required

Though many pursue a master’s degree to further their education and set themselves apart in the business world, some attend grad school because it is required. For example, if you plan on working in the field of psychology after receiving your bachelor’s, you need a master’s degree in psychology to legally practice.

You can define personal goals

Attending grad school right after you receive your bachelor’s is a smart move if you aren’t sure which part of your job field you are interested in yet. When students are studying for their bachelor’s, most don’t worry about jobs until the last year or so of studying. After graduation, you could feel indifferent about the work you’re completing, despite your love for the studies you’ve previously completed. Going to grad school gives you the opportunity to plan your career goals and hone your skills before you enter the workforce.

Why you should wait to pursue your masters degree

You’ll have more financial security

If you find yourself interested in going back to school a few years after graduation, there’s a great chance you’ll be more financially stable. If you’ve held a job in your field for a few years, you will be able to financially support yourself through grad school more than you were right out of your undergrad years. In addition to this, if a master’s degree is recommended for a promotion you desire, there’s a chance the company you work for may sponsor your grad school endeavors.

You’ll have more experience

Getting into grad school is a competitive process. Going straight into your career field for a few years after getting your bachelor’s gives you the chance to gain some valuable experience before applying to grad school, which can give you a competitive edge in the application process.

You know exactly what you want

Once you have spent some time working in the field of your choice, you know what you love about your job and what you don’t love. Recognizing this information can help you tremendously in grad school, as you can choose a master’s program that focuses on the parts of your job that you want to improve upon or focus on. This is a benefit that shines over jumping into grad school right away because you aren’t sure about the ups or downs of your career before you actually start working in your target field.

At the end of the day, if you want to go to grad school right after your receive your bachelor’s degree, go for it. Thinking of the career you are trying to cultivate after college: Will you be just as successful with or without a master’s degree? Grad school is a commitment that you must be ready to fully embrace. If you feel an ounce of hesitance, it may be safe to return to the drawing board for a bit to brainstorm ideas before graduation.