Email interface

Summer has officially come to a close. This summer, like any other summer, was a much-needed break from the daily grind, and I must say it was nice to receive only five emails in a day.

With the semester starting, that means our study routines, sleep schedules and mindsets must adjust before we step foot on campus. In order for us to snap out of our summer mode, we must start our semester routines early, and I am going to offer some tips that have always helped me adjust to a new school year.

Read and write daily

Reading posts on social media does not count. By reading I mean cracking open a good old hardcover or paperback of your choice and read it as if you were reading it for a class, or reading an article from a quality news source.

Reading consistently as the semester starts makes it less of a drag when your first reading assignments roll in for the semester, and it becomes more of a habit rather than a task when you read regularly.

Writing is also important to help your mind adjust to getting back into the semester groove. We take down notes consistently in class, and when your mind has had a long break without taking notes or writing anything down, your hands can feel like noodles when you begin to take notes during the first week of classes.

To avoid noodle fingers and to ensure that you can keep up with what is going on in class, writing things down or typing on a daily basis can certainly help. This can be done in the form of contributing to a blog, writing a journal or writing a to-do list every day.

I get it, I sound like everyone’s third grade teacher reminding you of your summer reading list, but it’s worth it to note that good reading and writing skills are essential to doing well in college classes.

Check your email regularly

First off, if you do not check your email at least 10 times a day like I do, I assume that you live under a rock.

Emails are crucial to our lives here at Virginia Tech, and we get emails that require immediate action and ones that we certainly cannot miss. We receive emails about our e-bills, on-campus housing, if applicable, and financial aid awards that require immediate action.

This habit is a good one to keep year round because emails do not cease when classes are not in session, and checking emails daily reminds us of how important it is that we do not miss emails from professors.

Check that email at least twice a day — in the morning and at night — but there’s no reason to be like me and check it 15 times a day.

Get your sleep schedule intact

Adjusting your sleep schedule can be the most grueling of these tips because as much as we all love sleep, a good night's sleep can be tough to achieve. I get that staying up until 2 a.m. to chat with friends or watch funny YouTube videos is fun during the summer, but when our bodies have adjusted to going to bed at 2 a.m. and we have to wake up for an 8 a.m. class in the fall, things aren’t pretty.

Our biological clocks need to adjust to a regular and more realistic schedule for the fall semester, so it may be helpful to pretend that you are starting classes a week in advance and adjust your sleep schedule accordingly.

Keep up with school happenings.

Whether it’s following Virginia Tech on your social media accounts, reading a paper as cool as the Collegiate Times or just keeping in contact with your fellow Hokies, make it a point to make sure that you have all the 411 when it comes to campus happenings. When you keep up with what is happening on campus you’ll be excited to see for yourself the changes to campus that have received media attention.

Every official Virginia Tech social media account posts the same stories to spread the word, so we can all catch up on campus happenings on Facebook, Twitter and the other social media accounts that Virginia Tech operates.

These start-of-the-year habits are hard to obtain, but they are essential to your success in the upcoming semesters — no one wants to miss important emails or be unable to get themselves to bed before 2 a.m. Let’s get ready to start jumping and kick off the fall semester in good spirits.