Grad Guide, Feb. 11, 2018

Graduates of each college stand to be recognized at the University Commencement, May 12, 2017.

At Virginia Tech, we have a myriad of degree options for both graduate and undergraduate students.

Some degree options, like fish conservation, are seen as somewhat out of the box or strange. Well, with graduate school comes a plethora of even stranger degree options to explore at Virginia Tech.

Below I have gathered some graduate school degrees that may sound odd, but are actually pretty interesting options that you may have never heard of before.

Ph.D. concentrated in Computational Tissue Engineering

OK, when I first discovered this I had absolutely no clue what this was or what it  entailed, so do not feel bad. The Computational Tissue Engineering interdisciplinary Ph.D program combines an interest of biology, cells and engineering with computational science.

Essentially, a ton of science and math experts come together and engineer the future. Sounds good enough, right?

Ph.D. concentrated in Translational Plant Science

Do plants even need a translator? The last time I checked plants could not speak to one another.

The Translational Plant Science program here at Tech does not involve translating plant language (as cool as that would be), but the program focuses on issues such as food security, biomass and plants as producers. Essentially, it’s plant research for the greater good, and it focuses on innovative technologies to help enhance our plant and food systems globally.

We all like to eat and food security is a global issue, so why not get some more research going?

Ph.D. concentrated in Disaster Resilience

The Disaster Resilience program seeks to help students become disaster researchers so that they are able to help communities see their risks and brace themselves before and help them repair their communities after disaster strikes. Look at how many environmental disasters we have had: The communities that hurricanes Matthew, Katrina, Irene and Sandy affected required disaster relief, and our very own Tech students develop the skills to be in the field and help communities prepare for future environmental and even manmade disasters in this program.

Those in this program surely embody Ut Prosim, and studying disasters can help you mitigate large-scale environmental and human-made disasters.

M.S. or Ph.D. concentrated in Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences

Go ahead, conserve those fish.

This program focuses on the biology and ecology of fish and assesses how humans can affect and manage wildlife habitats. Fish conservation is one of the stranger sounding degree options as an undergraduate, but why not consider taking your studies to the next level and conducting research that helps us humans better interact with our environment?

I hope that we are all inspired to look at the many options that Virginia Tech offers for graduate students to study; there are a whole lot of them that seem out-there and unique, but all in all these programs can be useful in many ways.

If you are considering graduate school and want to explore even more graduate degree options, the Virginia Tech graduate school website has the complete list of graduate degree programs offered here at Virginia Tech.