Sugar Magnolia in Downtown Blacksburg, August 11 2018

Sugar Magnolia in Downtown Blacksburg, Aug. 11, 2018.

If you’re staying in Blacksburg over the summer, chances are you may get tired going to the same places in town and doing the same things every day. Since your schedule won’t be full of football games and date parties, why don’t you try doing some things that you wanted to do during the school year that you never had time to do? These are some suggestions to add to your schedule, but feel free to make your own agenda.

Eat ice cream at Sugar Magnolia

What’s better than a cone or cup of ice cream on a hot summer’s day? Nothing. Take a group of friends or venture downtown by yourself to Sugar Magnolia and visit their dessert boutique. Try flavors like Lemon Crunch and Strawberry Cheesecake to cool off your taste buds. Once you’re done consuming the sweet treat, wander over to the other side of the boutique and peruse their merchandise where you can find stationery, stickers and knick knacks for your living space. Hungry after all your shopping? Grab an extra cup of ice cream for the road.

Watch a sunset from the Pylons

Summer is the best time to watch an iconic Blacksburg sunset from the Pylons. Not as many people are on campus during the summer so there’s a chance you’ll have the view all to yourself. Pop a squat at the end of the Pylons and take in the summer sky. If your significant other is in town, and you’re strapped for cash, the Pylons is the perfect spot for a cheap date night. As you walk home from watching the summer sunset sink behind the trees, think about how you’ll be able to cross No. 6 off the official Hokie Bucket List.

Explore the Hahn Horticulture Garden

If you want a break from the gray Hokie Stone all around campus, enjoy a pop of color at the Hahn Horticulture Garden. Hahn has many different types of grasses and flowers and many places within the garden to enjoy it all. Once you’ve made your way through the garden, take a minute or two to observe the fish in the koi pond. If you stay still enough the fish might even swim up to you. Take in the sites and relax for a bit at Hahn.

Tan on the Drillfield

Lay out a towel, lather on some sunscreen and soak in some rays as you lounge on the center of campus. The Drillfield during the summer is the perfect place to tan — or burn, for some of us — because it’s a wide-open space with lots of sunlight and people won’t be walking all over you to get to class. If laying out and doing nothing isn’t your thing, bring a book to read or a Frisbee to throw around with your friends. The best part about tanning on the Drillfield is that it’s a great big yard for all the Blacksburg dogs. Enough said.

Summer in Blacksburg is the best time to sit back, relax and do things you wanted to do during the school year. The weather is warm and sunny, and the crowds and school work can’t get in the way of all that Blacksburg has to offer.