Cook Counseling Center

The entrance of Cook Counseling Center, Apr. 11 2019

It’s finally that time of year again: finals week. It’s one of the most dreaded events Hokies have to look forward to, as all of the assignments start to build up and you can’t make flash cards for every exam. This time can be extremely stressful.

If you are a student at Virginia Tech you are aware of the abundance of things happening on and off campus every day. This year, several clubs and organizations, downtown establishments and dining services at Virginia Tech are hosting events that will help you destress during finals week that can help ease the pain. 

Food

If you are one of the few Hokies with a meal plan, you are in luck. D2 and Owens Food Court will be hosting breakfast and dinner specials to supply students with some much needed brain food.

On Wednesday, Dec. 11, D2 is hosting a dinner that is just in time for the holiday season. Dinner will be served from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and will include winter favorites such as vegetarian lasagna, smoked ham and more. This event will still be an all-you-can-eat buffet and will cost $5.98 through the flex plan or $17.95 in cash.  

Missed breakfast because you pulled an all-nighter? Owens Food Court will be hosting a late night breakfast on Reading Day, Dec. 12, to help you not miss the most important meal of the day. Breakfast will be served from 10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. and will cost $4.47 in flex dollars or $8.95 in cash. 

Don’t have a meal plan? Want free food? The Cook Counseling Center is hosting its semi-annual Finals Extravaganza and will be offering free hot chocolate and snacks to students on Dec. 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the McComas Hall lobby. Also, the Asian Cultural Engagement Center, located in Squires, will be giving free ramen to students on Reading Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Entertainment

Despite what your professors and your parents tell you, you can have fun during finals week. 

On Dec. 12, 13, 15 and 16 Squires will be holding events from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. On Dec. 12 there will be yoga in the Williamsburg Room to relieve some tension. Dive into adult arts and crafts by making a stress ball in Colonial Hall and playing with therapy dogs near the ticket office on Dec. 13. Lastly, on Dec. 16 students get to play with cute animals again. Squires will also be open until 1 a.m. during these times and will be giving out free coffee and snacks at 8 p.m. every day.

Looking for something to do off campus? The band The Quickening is making its premier at The Milk Parlor on Tuesday, Dec. 10, at 7:30 p.m. The Quickening is a soul band from New Orleans that is currently on tour and will perform with local band Brother & The Brothers. 

“One thing that I do to stay civil-headed is to try to find new music to listen to because it helps with the mental state, so I am excited to check The Quickening out,” said Nick Butler, senior political science major.

If you’re over 21, Hokie House is hosting its second annual Ugly Christmas Sweater and Onesie party on Friday, Dec. 13, from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m. To get into the Christmas mood, Hokie House will be decorated festively and will feature special drinks. Wear your ugliest Christmas sweater or onesie and you may be able to win a $20 gift certificate to Hokie House. 

If you’re trying to take a break in between studying for finals and don’t know where to start, consider some of these options. Free events only come around every so often, and during finals week the options for downtime can seem unlimited.