Taylor Swift Lover album cover

Taylor Swift's latest album is "Lover." [Taylor Swift Productions]

Ever since Taylor Swift announced her new album in June, I have been counting down the days until the release of “Lover.” I watched every Instagram Live Swift streamed, researched which deluxe edition of the album to get (the one with the original “All Too Well” lyrics duh) and prepared myself for my favorite artist’s newest album. 

As soon as I heard the opening notes on the first song, I smiled. I had missed my favorite artist, I was so glad she had returned to the spotlight.

A lot of the songs on the album are happy and upbeat, especially “I Forgot That You Existed,” one of my favorites on “Lover.” Swift sings of past pain and her old “reputation” and people getting pleasure from her pain but not caring and remembering what people think of her for a few short moments. It kind of gives off “This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things” vibes and I’m OK with that. Swift has been through some stuff, so she has a right to talk about her pain, but it takes a true magician to turn pain into a pop song. 

Swift also gets slightly political with a few songs on the album. With “Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince” she compares politics to high school with lyrics like “Running through rose thorns, I saw the scoreboard and ran for my life” which alludes to the presidential election. This song is full of metaphors, and it’s an innovative song concept. Another political song is “You Need to Calm Down” which is about the LGBTQ+ community. I didn’t like the song at first due to its beat and plain lyrics like “You need to just stop, like can you just not,” but it’s grown on me now that I see how it fits into the rest of the album.

Track four, “The Man” was a hidden gem. It is so empowering. Swift sings of the double standard in the entertainment industry between men and women (“They’d say I hustled, put in the work, they wouldn’t shake their heads and question how much of this I deserve”).

Another song that took me by surprise is “False God.” If “Dress” from her last album was raunchy, you haven’t listened to this song. “False God” is if “Dress” and Ariana Grande’s “God is a woman” had a baby with a dash of “Careless Whisper.” “We might just get away with this, religion’s in your hips, even if it’s a false god, we’d still worship.” The song is soft and sexy, and I’m ashamed to say I really like it.

The slowest song on “Lover” is “Soon You’ll Get Better” featuring the Dixie Chicks. In a video clip, Swift tells viewers this song was the hardest to write because it alludes to her mother’s struggle with cancer. The decision to put the song on the album was made by her family and I’m glad they did. This tune gives her fans a personal look into her family life, which her fans rarely get to see.

The only song that I’m not a huge fan of is “ME!” featuring Brendon Urie of Panic! At the Disco. The tune seems really childish to me, like it belongs in a kids’ movie. However, when the song was first released Swift and Urie sing “Hey kids, spelling is fun!” which the worst song lyric I’ve ever heard. Due to audiences hating and making fun of this line, Swift made the decision to cut it from the album. Thank goodness.

“Daylight,” is the final song on the album and is soft and dreamy. With its calming instruments and lyrics (“I’ve been sleeping so long in a 20 year dark night, and now I see daylight”). At the end of the song, Swift closes with a small speech about love that fades out with the song. It’s calming and refreshing and makes the listener feel peaceful at the end.

Was “Lover” worth two-year wait? Absolutely. Swift has a way with words that few artists have. “Lover” is dreamy, soft, bright, upbeat, slow and is one of Swift’s best albums, though nothing can ever dethrone “RED.”

I give “Lover” 4.75 stars out of five.

Lifestyles Editor

Emily is a Multimedia Journalism major with minors in Professional and Technical Writing and Pop Culture. When Emily isn’t doing homework she’s either re-watching “Gilmore Girls” or jamming out to Taylor Swift.