Student working out in McComas Gym

A student working out in McComas Gym, Feb. 14 2019

While many Tech students are currently searching for new housing for next year, some students will decide to stay on campus due to the perceived benefits of doing so. 

Living on campus provides numerous opportunities for dining within a short distance of where you live. While off campus dining options such as Moe’s, Chipotle and others are well-liked and supported by Tech students, on-campus options at dining halls such as D2, Hokie Grill, West End Market and others allow students to walk relatively short distances to get food during most hours of the day. 

In addition to dining options, other on-campus amenities such as Newman Library, the Career Center and the Student Success Center provide academic resources and support that students living off campus may have a harder time getting to. There’s no need to deal with driving and parking when you live just walking distance away from these amenities, which can definitely be seen as a perk of living on campus. 

“I feel like I’m closer to academic buildings, and closer to classes,” said Ben Isom, a junior studying political science. “Being closer to food is nice too, even though it kind of gets old sometimes.” 

As a member of the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, Isom has been living as an on-campus resident since the start of his freshman year. 

For those who practice an active lifestyle, living on campus allows easy access to both McComas and War Memorial gyms. Living on campus allows you to go and come as you please without having to deal with the hassle of the busses. Additionally, if you seek to participate in any athletic clubs or teams on campus, there’s no need to rush over to campus and hastily find a way to make it to practice on time. 

Living on campus allows students to walk or ride a scooter to get to where they need to be. In contrast, off campus students generally aren’t close enough to walk to campus unless they live in the few adjacent communities surrounding campus, and they can’t ride the electric scooters provided by the university since the scooters are limited to operating within the boundaries of campus, so many are left with relying on a bus or a car to get them to where they need to be. 

Living on campus lets you have peace of mind by limiting the hassles that can come with being far from amenities and activities you want to pursue. While many of us will choose to live off campus after a year or so of dorm life, take advantage of what’s available to you while you can.