US-NEWS-ELN-PA-SUBURBS-ANALYSIS-GET

Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden takes off his face mask to speak during a drive-in campaign rally at Bucks County Community College on Oct. 24, 2020 in Bristol, Pennsylvania. (Drew Angerer/Getty Images/TNS)

There is no question that this year’s Presidential election has been a rollercoaster ride from start to finish. From the hectic Democratic primaries to the general election the country has been left with lots of questions and lots of confusion. 

This election was one that almost everyone in the country had their eye on very closely. Junior public relations major Justin Rocha was one of them. “I was pretty invested in it. I was expecting it to be really close and I wasn’t sure who was going to win,” Rocha said. “I was definitely expecting a toxic environment in the country after the results were announced. This is the most polarizing election that I’ve personally seen, so I was expecting whichever side lost to be very upset.” 

For public relations major junior Lizzie Mahan, she was unsure of her expectations for the election. “I would say I’m in the middle. I know a lot about issues and the election and I care about the outcome, but I can’t answer very specific questions if they’re thrown at me,” Mahan said. “I didn’t have any expectations for this outcome because I didn’t truly know how the outcome would be.”

While Mahan was unsure of her exact expectations, she was spot on with one of them: how President Trump has reacted to the outcome of the election. “I expected a lot of anger from whoever lost. I figured if Trump lost he’d try to find a lot of mistakes with how the election was counted,” she said.“I figured there would be a lot of riots in the larger cities no matter who won.”

Now that the election is starting to draw to a close, even with recounts and lawsuits going on in several key states, the nation is starting to transition into dealing with the aftermath of it all. 

Rocha had concerns for what Biden’s win means for a transition of power in the upcoming months. “Seeing how Trump’s refusing to concede is honestly very concerning,” he said. “I think the criticism against Trump doing this is warranted. The response at Virginia Tech seems to be against what Trump’s doing from what I can see. It’s going completely against the concept of a peaceful transition of power, and I hope it gets settled sooner rather than later.”

Mahan had a sense of the election not being done with yet, although we are transitioning into the end stages of it. “I kind of saw all this coming with the Republicans rioting, the big Democratic cities super excited and the general feeling that it’s not over yet.” 

Even though there is current unrest across many areas in the country, both Rocha and Mahan were hopeful of a new normal come January. “In the long term, I think everyone will be fine once the new president sets in and people get used to it.”