The Umbrella Academy still

No. 5 (Aidan Gallagher) learns of the impending apocalypse when he travels to the future.

“The Umbrella Academy,” the new Netflix series released on Friday, Feb. 15,is based on the comic by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba.

The show focuses on seven children with extraordinary powers. The superheroes were adopted at birth by their father Reginald Hargreaves, and were all born to mothers who weren’t pregnant when the day began. Flash forward to present day, and the children are all grown up: Number One, Luther, lives on the moon; Number Two, Diego, is a vigilante; Number Three, Allison, is a movie star; Number Four, Klaus, is a drug addict; Number Five has gone missing; Number Six, Ben, is dead; Number Seven, Vanya, is ordinary.

After the children grow up, they go their separate ways but are reunited when their father dies. While at Reginald’s funeral, there is a bright burst of light and Number Five returns after 16 years to tell his siblings the world is going to end in eight days. Meanwhile, two people from the future, Hazel and Cha-Cha, try to kill Five to prevent him from saving the world.

This show is fantastic. I was sucked in instantly. As the show began, I was confused –– in a good way –– and intrigued; it had an interesting concept that I had never seen before, and I wanted to know more about these special children living in a dysfunctional family.

The first episode does a great job of setting up the primary characters and plot, giving the viewer enough to feel connected, but holds back enough so that you feel compelled to continue watching. The plot of the show is relatively easy to follow; I was coming in and out of my room doing laundry for a few of the episodes and I still had a good idea of what was going on.

The characters in this show are so well developed. I love them, and I would die for them because I care about them so much. Whenever I see Number Four or Number Five, I just want to wrap them up in a blanket, give them a mug of hot chocolate and tell them everything is going to be OK.

Speaking of Number Five, he is my favorite character in this show. He’s witty, snarky, smart and one of coolest people I’ve seen on TV. Not to mention that he is a 58-year-old in a 13-year-old’s body, and while he has seen and done some dark things, his siblings still treat him like a teenager. Also, when Five was in the future, he had a store mannequin that he named Dolores to keep him company, and she is a better developed character compared to other characters on TV. Their relationship is a better love story than “Twilight.”

The show is accompanied by a bangin’ soundtrack. The songs fit perfectly with the mood and the plot of the show; I only knew maybe two of them, but I was still banging my head to the music when they came on.

My only complaint about this show is that Pogo, the housekeeper, is not shown on screen as often as I would have liked. He serves his purpose in the first two episodes and is only seen in flashbacks and in the final two episodes. I understand that he doesn’t need to be in every scene, but he is not shown as much as I would have liked him to be.

There are 10 episodes in the first season and range from 42 minutes to one hour long. The episodes are kind of lengthy but it’s worth the commitment.

I give Netflix’s “The Umbrella Academy”five out of five stars. Stop what you’re doing and binge this show immediately.