Moving boxes

Moving boxes to help with the transfer of personal items in to an apartment or dorm. 

There’s absolutely no getting around it –– new digs means moving all of your belongings, bulky pieces of furniture, tiny decorations, clothes, breakable items and that one miscellaneous box from point A to point B. We’ve all been there, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it always sucks. I would know; I’ve moved three times throughout college, from the dorms to a townhome style apartment, to the fourth floor of an apartment complex. Through moving in and moving out, I’ve learned many tricks to making the transition way easier, even when I didn’t  have an elevator to lift the heavy stuff.

Hydrate and dress appropriately

While this may seem like common sense, ditch the idea of getting the perfect “insta-worthy” picture with your roommates and be prepared to feel like a hot and sweaty mess. Be sure to wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes that aren’t going to trap in the heat or get caught on furniture while you’re moving in. It helps to pack a cooler full of water bottles and a few sports drinks to keep you going and so you aren’t waiting in line to use the dorm’s water fountains or constantly refilling a Brita filter. Since most Hokies are moving in the last few weeks of August, it’s always good to be prepared for the worst when it comes to the heat.

Move in ASAP

I always try to move in as soon as I possibly can. Starting early in the day helps because it’s usually cooler and not as many people show up until later to get started. Having less people around who are moving in can make your life easier and  you’ll be able to check out the area where you’re living and have more time to adjust. BONUS: Moving in early gives you the other half of your day to relax, unpack, decorate and meet new people in your hall or in your apartment complex.

Bring cleaning supplies and tools

My first apartment was so dirty; it looked like they didn’t go through and clean it well. Considering people have lived in your dorm and, most likely, in your apartment before you have, it’s best to be prepared to wipe down and clean up the floors and counter spaces before placing furniture. Usually a swiffer, a duster, some type of all purpose spray and paper towels will do the trick just fine.

Use Command Strips sparingly

Command Strips are great for hanging things on your walls but honestly, the mess they leave behind is almost not worth it. Often times if you aren’t incredibly careful with the removal, the sticky tape can pull off the drywall. If your apartment will allow it, putting a few tiny holes in the walls with nails is much easier than paying a fine for tearing off the drywall. Maybe it’s just a “me” problem but regardless, if you decide to use them, be cautious.

It’s hot –– be mindful of what you leave in your car 

It may be really tempting to take a long break midway through moving for lunch but proceed with caution; you might be leaving something in your U-Haul or your car that can’t take the heat. This past summer I left a small can of paint in my car for about 15 minutes and came back to a nice explosion in my back seat. The moral of my story? When you pack up to move, put the things that need to be taken in first last so that you can grab them quickly and take them someplace cool. Electronics, cosmetic products, art supplies –– all of these are things that should be brought in first.

Regardless of where you’re going, moving into an apartment or dorm can be a fun experience if you make it one. Crank up some music from your phone, grab a few friends and be prepared to get a good workout in while you’re at it.

Design Editor

Heather is studying Multimedia Journalism and along with writing for the CT, she is an Executive for The Big Event at Virginia Tech and a reporter and anchor for Virginia Tech Television.