(Opinion) Thanksgiving and family

Is school, work or distance keeping you from visiting your family on the holidays? Stuck in Blacksburg for Thanksgiving break? Well don’t fret because Blacksburg will make you feel like you're right at home. Here is a list of things to do in Blacksburg this Thanksgiving break. 

If you live on campus, Dunkin Donuts, Hokie Grill and Owens will be open on Thanksgiving day. To start the day off, head to Dunkin Donuts for hot coffee and donut holes. If you want to stay within the Thanksgiving theme, Dunkin has pumpkin-flavored munchkins. To keep the Thanksgiving theme going, go to Frank’s in Owens for “The Defensive Back.” The Defensive Back comes with swiss cheese, coleslaw, grey poupon mustard, tomato, beef and, of course, turkey on a hoagie. 

If you’re looking to eat off campus, Denny’s will be open on Thanksgiving day and is serving a turkey and dressing dinner. The dinner will include turkey, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce. 

Interested in a Thanksgiving dinner with unlimited options? Golden Corral will be open this Thanksgiving holiday and along with their regular buffet, they are offering a holiday feast. For just $13, customers will have access to turkey, ham, stuffing, sweet potato casserole and candy cane cheesecake. This is an opportunity to eat Thanksgiving dinner without breaking the bank. 

There is always something going on in the town of Blacksburg during the holidays and this year there will be the annual Blacksburg Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day. 

The Blacksburg Turkey Trot is a 5K course designed for first-time runners and veterans that is a great way to get some exercise and to have some fun on Thanksgiving. To participate in this you can either sign up online before noon on Nov. 26, or register on Nov. 27 as a walkup from noon to 7 p.m at Sugar Magnolia located in downtown Blacksburg. Tickets are $25 online and $35 if purchased at the walkup registration. Participants will then have to pick up a packet on Nov. 27 from Sugar Magnolia any time between noon and 7 p.m. 

The packet will include a Blacksburg Turkey Trot T-shirt, Turkey Trot race bib, a chip timing device and more. Registrants are required to bring one canned food item in exchange for the packet.

To make this event even more appropriate for Thanksgiving, the Blacksburg Turkey Trot is giving back. The registrants’ canned goods will be donated to the Interfaith Food Pantry. 

The Blacksburg Turkey Trot will take place on Thanksgiving day at 8:30 a.m. starting at Draper Road NW and ending on W Roanoke Street in downtown Blacksburg. Pumpkin pie will be available along the course and there are prizes for the runners at the finish line.

Being away from your family can be hard, especially around the holidays but it doesn't have to be this holiday season for Hokies in Blacksburg.