Mini Fridge

Dorm room appliances, Mar. 13, 2019

Coming to college for the first time is exciting, but also intimidating. One of the experiences that most college freshmen get to enjoy is living in a dorm. Living away from home for the first time can be stressful, but having these items should make the experience much better.

Shower caddy

Having something to hold your items in when you go to the shower is essential. Shower caddies are usually sold in plastic or mesh styles and can hold your soap, shampoo, clothes, towels, washcloths and other things that you need.

Shower shoes/flip-flops

Sharing a bathroom with multiple people day after day can lead to some nasty conditions, so one of the best ways to combat the germs is to wear shower shoes or flip-flops. They don’t have to be anything fancy, but they do need to be easy to wear when wet and easy to clean.

Extra towels

Laundry can be a hassle during long, strenuous weeks of class, so an easy way to deal with some of that stress is to bring extra towels. This way, instead of having to repeatedly wash your towel, you can easily swap it out with a fresh one.

Drying rack

Sometimes, the only available dryer in your dorm laundry room will not work at all. An alternative to putting your clothes in the dryer for a second time is to hang them up and dry them the old-fashioned way.

Extra seating

Extra seating options for when you have friends coming over are extremely nice to have. Something foldable would be optimal, as it’s easy to store when it’s not in use.

Printer

A quality printer is one of the most important and useful tools to have as a college student. It can be a hassle to go to the library, sign into its computers and pay to print your essay. Instead, printing from the comfort of your dorm room can be much quicker and less stressful. Just make sure that you have extra paper and ink.

Water filter

Hydration is key to living a healthy lifestyle, and having a water filtration system in your fridge is the perfect way to easily get cold, fresh water cheaply. Make sure that you also get extra filters, as you have to change them every few months.

Bedside lamp

A light that you can turn on and off from the comfort of your bed is very useful for multiple reasons. Getting out of bed, especially when you are in a lofted bed, to turn off the lights can be a hassle, so having the convenience of turning the light off right there is great. It also allows you to read in your bed.

Speaker

Having a Bluetooth speaker in your room can liven up the place when you have guests. It doesn’t have to be a giant, expensive one, but having Bluetooth compatibility makes it easy to connect and control the music from anywhere around the room.

Alarm clock

Although our smartphones have alarm clocks built in, having an actual alarm clock may be the better option. You don’t have to worry about it dying, the volume being too low, or any other potential disasters that can happen with a phone.

Decorations

Anything that you can think of that would make a dull dorm room lively is a plus. Many students go for posters, picture frames, lights, tapestries, sculptures and more.

Although I have listed a variety of items to have during your freshman college living experience, there are still many more to get. Make sure to put time and research when shopping to make the best of your living situation.