Valentines Day Photo Illustrations

As Valentine’s Day is soon approaching, many students here at Virginia Tech are going about the process of planning out how they want to celebrate the occasion. For some it shall be treated like any other day, for others it’s going to be a night to remember. When asked what they were doing this Valentine’s Day, Feb. 14, here’s what some of our fellow Hokies had to say.

Some may find Valentine’s Day to be the kind of day where you book a reservation to a fancy restaurant in advance, or maybe even splurge on fancy chocolates or roses. Some have found alternative ways to enjoy themselves without breaking the bank. 

“A tradition we have of getting fancy (is) with fast food. Last year it was gala attire to Cookout, and this year a fancy wine paired with McDonald’s. We may also try to get a couple’s massage from a place here in Blacksburg,” said Jacob Nelsen, a senior studying neuroscience. 

With this Friday also being the day that the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets is having its annual Military Ball at Squires Ballroom, hundreds of students and faculty members of the university shall be attending the event, dressed up formally for the occasion.  

“This Valentine's Day I am going to Military Ball, and I am doing a wine tasting with some of my friends on Wednesday night since I won't see them on Friday,” said Mady Moore, a junior studying political science.

Celebrating Valentine’s Day can be quite the challenge if you’re in a long distance relationship. For some Hokies, going the distance is what it takes to make things special

“For Valentine's Day this year, I drove up to visit my boyfriend the weekend of Feb. 7 to celebrate early,” said Dayana Obeldobel, a senior studying finance and human resources. I was able to watch his hockey game, and afterwards we went out for a romantic dinner and dessert. On the actual day we plan to FaceTime each other and open our Valentine's presents to make up for the fact that we will be five hours apart. Hopefully I can have a wine night with my roommates on Friday to make the day a little more special.”

While some couples might be planning for Valentine’s Day this weekend, others are planning for a bigger celebration.

“I am traveling to Gentry, Arkansas, to spend Valentine's weekend with my Fiance, Lauren,” said Parker Romo, a senior studying economics. “We will be working on wedding things like the wedding party's suits, the rehearsal dinner location, as well as other small details that will make a big impact on our wedding day.” 

With this special holiday falling on a Friday this year, there’s still time to gather ideas and plan things out. For those seeking to get some last-minute ideas together to have a blast this Valentine’s Day, make sure to check out our latest article on options available right here in Blacksburg that will ensure that you spend the day in style.