NCB

With its glass walls, abundant flat screen TVs and ambiguous chalkboards, New Classroom Building has been here for us since 2016, and we have yet to give it a proper name.

The building is in fact quite new, and it does contain many classrooms. However, with new buildings on the way with the Virginia Tech master plan calling for more, there has to be a name eventually, unless the next new building gets named “New New Classroom Building.”

“I don’t think it will be named until someone (does something important) or puts up a lot of money,” said Angie Orange, a junior studying national security and foreign affairs.

We can only speculate what New Classroom Building will be named one day, presumably after a generous donor, a historical figure, or a notable alumni or faculty member. Unless one of us budding Virginia Tech students has a spare 50 zillion dollars, we currently have no control of the naming process for this LEED certified Hokie Stone-clad skyscraper.

What if we did? What would we name it if we could name it anything?

“As a bias I want one to be named Orange Hall,” Orange said.

This is only out of the hypothetical, but what if the students who frequent New Classroom Building had a say in this? Going through New Classroom Building several times, I found that students had a decent amount of opinions on the matter.

For many, the challenge with coming up with a name was the fact that New Classroom Building isn’t dedicated to one area of education.

“The building isn’t dedicated to one school, so it doesn’t have to be anything specific,” said Miles Abernethy, a freshman history major.

Some thought it should be named after the location of the building, which is relatively far away from the rest of campus.

“It’s close to the Duck Pond; maybe it should be named something similar to that,” said Zach Brzykcy, a junior history major. “Duck Pond Hall, maybe Otter Hall?”

Many of the buildings on campus are named after historical figures relating to Blacksburg’s Civil War significance, such as McBryde Hall and Lane Stadium. In accordance with this trend, one student suggested a unique twist to the notion.

“Maybe they should name it after Bud Robinson, who was a famous Civil War history professor here at Tech,” Abernethy said.

This might be a great way to honor James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr., the highly acclaimed professor and historian who taught at the university for 44 years, who recently passed away last year. Some students who have legacies at Virginia Tech may have had their parents and their grandparents take his class.

This does beg the question that maybe they should name New Classroom Building after a notable faculty member.

“I think Giovanni (all) would also be cool,” Abernethy said.

Abernethy is referring to prolific poet, writer and civil rights activist Nikki Giovanni, who is also a distinguished professor at Virginia Tech.

Many students value New Classroom Building as a household name, and while not objecting to a name change, wouldn’t mind if it was kept the same.

“I would just keep it NCB,” said Tyler Harris, a sophomore multimedia journalism major.

For us who have been here for a number of years, it might be hard to adjust to a name change.

“I’d probably still call it NCB, though, even if they change the name because I’m already so used to it,” said Alex Hunley, a sophomore human development major. “It’s a common name that people already know now.”

While New Classroom Building remains as nameless as the Banksy print on the staircase, Virginia Tech students will continue to refer to it as NCB until the next building is named NCB.