Michael Brown

Editor's note: This article was updated with a correction on Nov. 14 at 2:00p.m.

The Roanoke City Police Department is searching for Michael Brown, a United States Marines deserter and murder suspect, according to ABC 13 News.

Brown, 22, allegedly killed his mother’s boyfriend in Franklin County, Virginia, and has been traveling in cars and on foot since. He is charged with second-degree murder and for using a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Police say he has been living in the woods, frequents national parks and national forests.

All Roanoke City public schools are closed Thursday, Nov. 14. At approximately 6 a.m., Roanoke City Public Schools released a statement on the closing after a “serious concern” about Brown near Patrick Henry High School. Employees are also asked not to go to work.

In addition, Roanoke police asked members of the community who live within a half-mile radius of 2100 Grandin Rd. SW “to shelter in place until further notice.” Moreover, avoid traveling to the area if possible and also make sure all exterior doors are locked.

Around 4 a.m Nov. 14., authorities received a call about Brown and found an RV, which is believed to be the vehicle Brown used to come to Roanoke from South Carolina. The RV has been cleared according to Roanoke Chief of Police Tim Jones.

Along with the Roanoke City Police Department and the Virginia State Police, the FBI, U.S. Marshals Service and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service are a part of the hunt, the Franklin County Sheriff's Office stated. The FBI stated U.S. Marshals service is offering a $10,000 reward for information about Brown’s location and arrest.

Brown is a former Marine and served as a combat engineer. He was last stationed at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

Anyone with information on Brown and his whereabouts should contact the Franklin County Sheriff's Office at 540-352-5139.

News Editor

Tahreem Alam is a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with majors in multimedia journalism and international relations. She spends endless hours watching proper ways to take care of cats, even though she has yet to adopt one.