2 arrested, victim identified as Virginia Tech student - Collegiate Times : News

|
||

2 arrested, victim identified as Virginia Tech student

Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 9:26 am

Updated:

Samanata Shrestha has been identified as the victim, according to arrest warrants from the Montgomery County Court House obtained by the Collegiate Times.

Both individuals arrested, Jessica Michelle Ewing and Keifer Kyle Brown, have ties to Virginia Tech. Ewing is currently enrolled in Tech and studying fisheries science, and Brown graduated from Tech in 2013, according to university relations.

Ewing was charged with a felony for the "kill and murder of Samanata Shrestha in the second degree."

Brown was charged with a felony for "transport, secrete, conceal or alter (of) a body ... with malicious intent and to prevent detection of an unlawful act," as well as a misdemeanor charge as an "accessory after the fact."

According to the warrants, the violations occurred last Saturday. The two were arraigned late this morning and are being held without bail.

Shrestha was reported missing on Saturday afternoon.

Jessica Dehn, president of Epsilon Sigma Alpha — a service fraternity which Shrestha was involved in — sent out an email to its members on Sunday night asking for information regarding her disappearance.

...

As of 10:24 a.m., Blacksburg PD has confirmed that the car has been located, though they have yet to release the location.

...

Police have obtained an arrest warrant for murder and have taken Jessica Michelle Ewing, a 22-year-old Blacksburg resident, into custody without incident. They have also charged Keifer Kyle Brown, a 23-year-old Blacksburg resident, with accessory after the fact.

Both are being held at Montgomery County Sheriff's Office Jail without bond.

...

The homicide investigation began yesterday by the Blacksburg Police. The BPD is asking for the public’s assistance in locating a vehicle that may be involved in the investigation.

The vehicle has been described as a black 4-door 2004 Mercedes C320, with a Va. License plate reading JJZ-3731. The vehicle is suspected to be unattended.

Anyone with information on the location of the vehicle should contact the BPD at 540-961-1150.

Check back for more updates as they develop.

Follow @CameronOAustin @JDeanSeal @CollegiateTimes for updates on Twitter.

10 comments:

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 10:37 pm on Tue, Feb 11, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

This may surprise you, but academic departments do not have legal jurisdiction over anybody. The accused was not a student in that college or department anyway.

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 7:49 pm on Tue, Feb 11, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

Did the College of Natural Resources or the Dept of Fisheries and Conservation take any punitive action after one of their students was arrested for trespassing and housing exotic animals illegally ON CAMPUS? Do they teach/advocate poaching in turning a blind eye?

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 3:52 pm on Tue, Feb 11, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

Ewing and Brown had a previous romantic relationship.

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 10:40 pm on Mon, Feb 10, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

There is no information on what happened or how the two were connected other than them both being VT students....

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 9:52 pm on Mon, Feb 10, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

The victim was the daughter of Dr Manik Lal Sherestha Deputy Chief Of The IMF. This makes the second tragic loss for this Family . Another Daughter was killed in a tragic motorcycle accident in 2008 and only 22.

Strength to this family .

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 8:14 pm on Mon, Feb 10, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

Her parents lost their other child in an accident in 2006, and now their only child is killed. She was supposed to go to medical school in August. Such sad news, I feel worse to the parents. Losing both children is something one cannot fathom. Condolences to the family, and I hope you manage to get out of this tough time. Rest in peace Samanata.

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 6:50 pm on Mon, Feb 10, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

Heartfelt condolences to the family and may she rest in peace ~
    Yours Truly,
    Nepali Family

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 5:59 pm on Mon, Feb 10, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

Poor Samanata...Rest in piece....

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 4:31 pm on Mon, Feb 10, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

Brown was in the Corps, held a regimental position last year as the Historian.

• Anonymous Commenter posted at 3:24 pm on Mon, Feb 10, 2014.

Anonymous Commenter Posts: 1204

well thats fucked