Blacksburg Town Council

During the last Blacksburg Town Council meeting on Jan. 22, 2019, the consent agenda, which groups multiple town projects together, was approved.

Three resolutions compose the consent agenda: one about changing the street name from “Chickahominy Drive” to “Givens Lane” which will extend to Patrick Henry Drive, another declaring the town’s intention to reimburse itself from the proceeds of one or more financings for public improvements and finally a resolution for transferring $25,000 between general fund capital projects and $50,000 between water and sewer fund capital projects.

A citizen came up to discuss improvements the town council is making in Blacksburg, including the expansion of Chickahominy Drive to aid navigation and the expansion of BT bus service to Christiansburg. The citizen raised concerns about Toms Creek Road and its closures during periods of intense rain and flooding and urged the town council to look into improving the area.

Finally, a new resolution was approved by the town council to adopt the Capital Improvement Plan, which is a five-year plan for large capital expenditures by the town, for the 2019–2020 fiscal year through 2023–2024.

The next town council meeting will take place on Feb. 12, 2019, at 7:30 p.m. at the Roger E. Hedgepeth Chambers Blacksburg Municipal Building on 300 S. Main St., Blacksburg, Virginia.