Blacksburg Town Council

Blacksburg Town Council met briefly on Nov. 13, 2018. At the onset of the meeting, Mayor Leslie Hager-Smith read a consent agenda, a group of actions by the Town Council that the council members voted on all at once.

The first aspect to the consent agenda was Resolutions 11-A-18, 11-B-18 and 11-C-18, which refer a potential zoning ordinance amendment to the planning commission. The amendment addresses managing family residential use, as well as the list of contributing structures in the Blacksburg Historic Overlay District.

Next on the agenda was the approval of certain ordinances to be public hearings at upcoming Town Council meetings. A public hearing is planned for Dec. 11, 2018, for an adjustment to the operating budget to accept donations to the General Capital Improvement Fund for the Mountain Bike Skills Park and Municipal Park Picnic Shelter. Additionally, this meeting will be a public hearing for the making of an agreement with Montgomery County for a town boundary adjustment to include 10.7 acres of park land into Blacksburg town limits.

The agenda also proposes a public hearing to take place at the Town Council meeting on Feb. 12, 2019. This hearing will be for an ordinance to vacate portions of Warren Street and surrounding areas, as well as an ordinance to rezone 3.818 acres in the 500 block of Warren Street and the 600 block of Green Street from low density multi-unit residential to planned residential.

Finally, the consent agenda contained a law enforcement mutual aid agreement with Virginia Tech.

The consent agenda was passed unanimously.

Afterward, the council discussed Ordinance 1879, which proposes to grant Broadband LLC to develop a fiber-optic network in Blacksburg.

This would entail exploring the town’s fiber network, and is the result of attempts to provide competition beyond Comcast, with claims from the network implementer that the network will provide reliable uploading and downloading speeds at an attractive price. The term of the franchise is five years, and it will automatically renew unless a problem arises.

Ordinance 1879 was passed as well.

The next town meeting will take place on Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018, at 7:30 p.m. at the Roger E. Hedgepeth Chambers of the Blacksburg Municipal Building on 300 South Main St..