Tech athletics videographer investigated for embezzlement - Collegiate Times : News

|
||

Tech athletics videographer investigated for embezzlement

Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Virginia Tech police are investigating the head of Tech’s athletic video unit for the possible charge of embezzlement.

Kevin Hicks Jr., the director of broadcasting and visual media for Tech’s athletic department, is currently on paid administrative leave following an investigation by an internal auditing department of Tech that showed “suspicious activity” by Hicks.

The investigation revealed that a “private business, operated by Kevin Lawson Hicks, Jr., had been billing clients for broadcasting, producing, and other media services of Virginia Tech sporting events,” according to search warrants filed with the Montgomery County Circuit Court clerk at the end of February.

This led to a criminal investigation helmed by Detective E. T. Montgomery of the Virginia Tech Police Department. Montgomery discovered that a private company listed as K&J Productions, L.L.C. filed a state corporation commission license with the principal office address as 250 Jamerson Center, Blacksburg Va.

Hicks occupies an office space at 250 Jamerson Center.

After interviews with “co-workers, staff and employees of K&J Productions, L.L.C. (Montgomery) learned that (Hicks) has used Virginia Tech property and Virginia Tech employees to provide media related services to various clients through his private company, K&J Productions,” the warrants say.

Hicks’ office was searched on Feb. 26, with Tech police seizing computers, discs, thumb drives, documents and financial statements, according to an affidavit of a search warrant.

As the police investigation continues, Tech will continue to perform a “concurrent ongoing administrative review,” said university spokesperson Larry Hincker, to determine Hicks’ future employment status. The university still currently employs Hicks.

The amount of the alleged embezzlement has not yet been disclosed.

Hicks could not be reached for comment during the day Wednesday.

Hicks graduated from Tech in 1998 and began working in the athletic video department that same year. He currently lives in Blacksburg with his wife and two children.

1 comment:

• Fred posted at 1:12 pm on Fri, Mar 21, 2014.

Fred Posts: 63

Crime does not pay!

Fred
    The one and only.