Business Horizons

Virginia Tech Business Horizons, Sept. 5 2019

Hundreds of students attended the Business Horizons Career Fair, a job fair hosted by the Business Horizons student organization and the Pamplin College of Business on Thursday, Sept. 5, in Squires Student Center.

The purpose of the fair is to give students the opportunity to interact with over 150 recruiting organizations and companies to eventually come out with job offers, internships or interviews with major companies.

On the Business Horizons website, students can filter their search based on the majors and job opportunities the companies are looking for. Some companies that attended this year included the nation’s big four accounting firms, government agencies, consulting firms and retail companies.

The website also gives students tips for having a successful session, including practicing strong pitches, being energetic and confident, and writing up follow-up emails to representatives after the event.

Additionally, almost 3000 students attended the event this fall, and over 600 students had next-day interviews.

Victoria Brunson, a junior majoring in hospitality and tourism management, said this year’s fair was more crowded than her freshman year. She was offered an interview with the Baltimore Country Club for an event planning internship.

“It’s a good opportunity to get jobs,” Brunson said. “I didn't go last year, and I had a really difficult time finding internships this year, so I feel like it is definitely a good kind of encouragement to try and find internships and jobs sooner rather than later. It's at least convenient because it's on campus and they're bringing all the jobs to you, however overwhelming it may be.”

In addition, Brunson advised future attendees to do some research on the companies that will attend, use the maps that staff will hand out and bring a binder or notebook to take notes on the companies. Also, not bringing a bag, or just bringing a small purse, can help save time since attendees must go through a bagcheck before going into the event space.

Dan Phipps, a senior majoring in finance, also went to the career fair to find jobs and network with people. Phipps said the career fair is a good way to practice for future jobs.

“As you get older, more companies are interested in you. Honestly, you learn from experience,” Phipps said. “Just be confident and put yourself out there.”

News Editor

Tahreem Alam is a sophomore in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences with majors in multimedia journalism and international relations. She spends endless hours watching proper ways to take care of cats, even though she has yet to adopt one.