CLAHS Dean

Laura Belmonte

This upcoming August, Virginia Tech’s College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences will have a new dean, Dr. Laura Belmonte.

According to VT News, after the university’s national search, Virginia Tech Executive Vice President and Provost Cyril Clarke appointed Belmonte as the new dean.

“From the moment I spoke to the recruiter about this position last fall, I was intrigued by the fascinating mix of programs in the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences and the strong national reputation of Virginia Tech itself,” Belmonte said.

Belmonte graduated from University of Georgia with a double major in history and political science and interned for a U.S. senator on Capitol Hill before going to graduate school at University of Virginia. She was hired at Oklahoma State University following her dissertation.

At Oklahoma State University, she was promoted to professor, co-founded the Gender and Women’s Studies and American Studies programs, directed the American Studies program and spent four years as head of the history department. Since July 2018, she has been the associate dean for instruction and personnel at OSU’s College of Arts and Sciences.

“I have over 10 years of administrative experience and about 15 years of non-profit board service,” Belmonte said. “I think these experiences have given me a broad understanding of how to build successful organizational cultures and to work with large and diverse groups of people.”

Belmonte plans to get a deeper understanding of the perspectives of all individuals within the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, claiming that understanding their perspectives will be the key to understanding the current challenges.

“I intend to be a strong advocate for the college’s interests, financial resources and essential value to the mission of Virginia Tech,” Belmonte stated. “I aim to strengthen and build our programs and departments, raise more revenue to help recruit and retain top-notch faculty and to ensure that our students get a world-class education and are supported in affording and navigating college and realizing their aspirations.”

Additionally, Belmonte intends to improve the reputation of the college as well as fervently work to increase the amount of resources provided to it.

“VT is a truly special place and Blacksburg is going to be a wonderful place to live,” Belmonte said.