VT nanomedicine lab

The Virginia Tech College of Science introduced a brand new nanomedicine major for undergraduate students. This latest addition to the College of Science’s repertoire of major options is one of a kind, for the reason that no other university in the United States offers nanomedicine at the undergraduate level.

Nanomedicine is a branch of medicine that utilizes miniscule materials, specifically at a size range of one to 100 nanometers, to treat and diagnose medical conditions. This innovative study is applicable to a wide array of inventive medical technologies and discoveries, such as individualized, regenerative and targeted medicines.

The creation of the new major was initiated by current nanoscience students who expressed interest in the biological and biomedical approach to nanoscience and desired a major that reflected that interest.

As a result, the nanoscience degree program will now be offering both nanoscience and nanomedicine as major options.

Randy Heflin, a professor in the physics department, the associate dean for research and graduate studies for the College of Science, and program leader of the nanoscience division of the Academy of Integrated Science, has spearheaded the development of the new major.

According to VT News, Heflin believes that an expected range of 20 to 40 students, specifically freshmen and sophomores, will declare their major as nanomedicine during the current fall semester.

The first graduating class of nanomedicine majors are anticipated to complete their undergraduate studies by 2020.

The nanomedicine major is part of the university’s nanoscience degree program, which is similar to the new nanomedicine major in rarity, as Virginia Tech is one of only two universities in the country with a nanoscience undergraduate program.

Unlike nanoscience majors, those pursuing a major in nanomedicine will partake in course work that is rooted more in the life sciences, rather than the physical sciences.

Nanomedicine majors will be expected to take the life science versions of introductory physics and calculus, along with an introduction to biology course, which is not mandatory for the nanoscience curriculum. They will also have the option to select electives that focus on biomedicine, biology and other life sciences that are more suited to the new major.

Heflin told VT News that students of the new major “will be well-prepared for professional and graduate school as well as exciting careers in pharmaceuticals, medical devices and products, and many related areas.”

This novel addition to major options in the College of Science provides Virginia Tech students with an unparalleled opportunity to study nanoscience at the undergraduate level and to get a head start in the rapidly growing industry of nanoscience.