COVID-19 CT Graphic

An omicron subvariant, BA.2, has been detected in nearly half of U.S. states, according to CNBC. As of Friday, Jan. 28, 127 cases of the new subvariant have been reported.

The subvariant is 1.5 times more transmissible compared to BA.1, the initial omicron strain, as CNBC stated. However, there is no evidence that BA.2 is more deadly than BA.1, according to the same CNBC article.

CNBC also reported that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that BA.2 is currently at a low level of transmission in the U.S. despite spreading at a higher rate than BA.1 in other countries.

Newly elected Attorney General Jason Miyares released a legal opinion on Jan. 28 stating that Virginia’s institutions of higher education cannot require students to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in order to enroll or attend in-person activities. This is Miyares’ first legal opinion since taking office.

According to The Washington Post, some state universities — including Virginia Tech — are assessing Miyares’ statement.

As of Jan. 30, Virginia Tech’s COVID-19 dashboard shows that from Jan. 20 to 26, out of the 1,900 tests administered to students and faculty, 209 had positive results.

As of Jan. 28, there have been 73,878 more COVID-19 statewide cases since the last CT update, making the total number of cases 1,525,591 in Virginia. There have also been an additional 39 deaths, increasing the cumulative death toll in Virginia to 16,127, according to WHSV.